Is it too rainy in to vaction in CR in July?

Old May 29th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it too rainy in to vaction in CR in July?

We are figuring out where to go for vacation in early July. I underastand that this is the rainy season. Can someone please advice us it would ruin a trip?
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:44 AM

July is considered little summer and is actually drier than most people would think. At most you might get an afternoon or evening shower. The Caribbean side is wetter year round so I would stick to the central, northern and pacific areas. Enjoy.. you will be seeing CR at a much prettier time than us snow birds that go down in the winter (ours). Many of the people who live down there prefer the "green season because it is prettier and slightly cooler".
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Having a wedding anniversary in June, the year we chose to visit San Jose, Costa Rica, if we didn't get wet, we wouldn't have done/seen anything at all. I would be hesitant to encourage visiting during that time. It sure didn't make our trip very enjoyable. The country, etc. was great, but the weather was miserable. Nothing but rain. If you decide to go, enjoy it regardless.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Unlike previous poster, I would not hesitate to visit CR in July. I've been to CR 8 time and 5 of those times were in the rainly season...including September, one of the months that gets the most rain. It's fabulous.
As Susie2 says, if you stick to the northern pacific coast, the most rain you'll likely see is an afternoon or evening shower, which is really nice to cool things down, and it's SO pretty that time of year! Honestly, I think Ptcruiser must have had really bad luck and/or spent most of their time in the central valley which always gets more rain, in any season!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:26 PM

Hi Ally,
Since you've been so many times, thought I'd ask... have you been in early November? I definitely want to include the Osa Pen. in our trip. Any feedback? Thanks, Leslee
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Dear celia, we were in Costa Rica last year the first two weeks in July and drove to all the major sites in a four wheel drive. At Selva Verde it rained every afternoon in the late afternoon time and continued at night. In Arenal it rained on and off both days. In Monteverde we had decent but cloudy weather and in Manuel Antonio sunny morning, a little rain in the afternoons and evening. The rain really did not spoil the trip at all We were prepared for it and brought light rain jackets. It only annoyed us in Arenal because it was so cloudy both days that the volcano was almost invisible. That was the only place my husband thought was a waste of time.Of course the driving is trickier in the rainy season.Hope this helps.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Leslee (My twin sister's name is Leslie),
I can't even recall if I've been in Nov, to tell the truth! I was in Osa in late September, 2000..or was it 2001? As in most parts of the country, the mornings were beautiful and sunny...starting to cloud up mid to late afternoon, rain by 5:00 or 6:00. Anything from light rain to full thunderstorms that we wondered if we would survive. Seriously, I would not let that keep me from going in November!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 01:50 PM
DME

Ally- encouraged by your take on a July trip. We are planning for mid July and to visit Arenal, Monteverde and Quepos (Manuel Antonio) How are these areas for rain at this time. Also any tour recommendations. Is the Canopy tour strenuous?