$$cost for 9 night trip to CR

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$$cost for 9 night trip to CR

Hi everyone:

I just got a quote for a trip for two (husband and myself) to Costa Rica in August. The cost is $1659 per person. We are flying form Los Angeles and the cost includes the airfare for two and the hotels. We are booked at 2 nights at Tabacon Resort in Arenal, 2 nights at Hotel Heliconia in Monteverde and 5 nights at El Parador in Manuel Antonio. The cost also includes transportation to each spot. This seems very high to me. I feel like the rooms are probably $130/night and the flight should be about $600 max per person. Am I correct? Is transportation really expensive? Does this trip seem overpriced?
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM

By my guesstimate $1659pp($3318) may be a little high but not much. I think air, along with the taxes,security fees,etc.would be closer to $800pp($1600).You will require at least 4 transfers @ $50pp($400)on average.Hotels 9 nights @ $130($1170)gives you a total of $3170.Not knowing the complete details of your trip I'd say that the quote you have is fairly close.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 04:52 AM

Well, if its too expensive, why don't you book it on your own? Flights from LAX, including tax on AA are going for $579 pp in August. Add 2 nights in Tabacon at ($139 + 16.40% tax) + 2 nights Heliconia at ($80 + 16.40% tax) + 5 nights El Parador ($122 + tax) + $400 in transfers or jeep rental for the time gives a grand total of:
$2,778. Sounds like some agency is pocketing $540.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I would ask to see a breakdown of the costs from the travel agency, or just book the trip on your own. Every hotel website lists their prices, so you should be able to figure out if the travel agency is getting you a deal or overcharging you. We are staying 11 nights in Costa Rica at top hotels, doing a 2 day rafting trip, renting a 4x4, and have direct flights from NYC. Our total cost for all that, including taxes, is $3450.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:31 AM

I just got a quote for 10 nights in top hotels, three locations, mostly air transport within CR for over $5,000 and that doesn't include air to and from CR. ONly one excursion included--all day deep sea fishing. Have not booked, so will ask for itemized bill.

Kathy
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Kathy, that's scary. Seems like way too much $$, unless by top end hotels you're talking about places like Villa Caletas, Punta Islita, and the new real expensive place in Mal Pais (can't remember the name). Glad you're asking for itemized bill!

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Iza

CTKathy, I agree with Ally, that sounds really expensive unless you are really staying at the very top hotels and going in high season.

Check the prices at the hotels you will be staying at on line and compare to your bill.

We used an agent for our first trip to CR and he told us that CR is unlike other countries where "package" deals are often cheaper than rack rates at hotels. If you go through an agent you will end up paying a premium over the rack rate at a hotel.

We did all of our arrangements for our 2nd trip and the 3rd trip (except one hotel which we ended up booking through Costa Rica Expeditions - as an exception to the rule, they had a good deal on it!) and it definitely turned out to be less expensive than our first trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Yes, our trip is in high season and the hotels are Punta Islita, Lapa Rios and Makanda. I'll still check it out and get a quote from another agency. The transport between these destinations is Natureair or Sansa. I don't know if there is much discount in high season on these accommodations.

Kathy