Search

Buenos Aires questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires questions

We are making a last minute trip to BA in less than 2 weeks and need a little help. We plan to use freebies at Sheraton. Which one would be the best choice for experienced leisure travelers, the Sheraton Libertador Hotel, downtown or the Sheraton Buenos Aires Hotel on San Martin overlooking the Rio de la Plata? Are ATM machines safe to use? Is the Subte practical and safe? What is the best way to get from the Airport to the City Center? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:42 PM

DearJimjohn: I recommend the Sheraton on San Martin. Can you get a room at the Park Tower? We, local people, call it "the new Sheraton", which is located in the intersection of Alem and San Martin streets. The "old part" is the one next to the Tower, and it's cheaper. Park Tower is more exclusive and you get a better view from its rooms. I've recently assisted a couple who stayed there and they liked it very much.
ATMs are safe, but not all tourists are able to withdraw money from them so I suggest you check with your bank.
As for transfer, you can take a bus shuttle at the airport. The name of the company is MANUEL TIENDA LEON and you will see it once you clear customs and go through the sliding door. Buses leave approx. every 30'and you will be taken up to their main office, located in front of Plaza San Martin (2 blocks away from Sheraton). They also provide remis services (private car with driver). The remis should cost around 40 pesos including toll and it takes 30-40 minutes to get from the airport to downtown.
Enjoy your trip!

Cintia
[email protected]
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:14 PM

The Sheraton San Martin is in a nice, quiet location. The Libertador is on Av. Cordoba, which is VERY noisey. I am sure the view from San Martin would also be much nicer than the views from the Libertador. I would stay at Sheraton San Martin if I were you.

Hiya, Cintia.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:20 PM

Hi John! I can see you've become an expert on Buenos Aires. Your postings are very useful, thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks John and Cintia. We are also big movie fans. Are films in BA shown in Version orginale (e.g. English if produced in English) or non-Spanish films dubbed as in Spain?
Any suggestions for picadas? Favorite deli? Italian restaurant? And of course, those fabulous steaks??
Thanks once again, Jim