Getting nervous about my CR trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm soo excited for my trip in June but have a few last minute concerns that I'm hoping all of you costa rica experts can help me with!

1) Flying from Liberia to San jose- do I need to reserve this flight in advance on one of the local airlines?

2) I'm spending 3 nights at Peace lodge- is this too much time? Will arrive there on Wed and leave for Airport on Saturday?

3) Silly question but have to ask- I'm staying in Papagayo (grand papagayo) and then peace lodge. I'm concerned since I'm not going to MA I wont get to see the infamous SLOTHS. I'm dying to see one. Any suggestions on an excursion I can take from either of my hotels so I can be sure to see?

Thanks so much everyone! Less than 7 weeks away and couldnt be more excited to go n my Dream vacation!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM

1) yes for sure. NOW!
2)possibly-if you are planning on doing some day trips from there it will be fine. Head over to the Sarapiqui area and do a trip to Doka coffee and Poas. These are both very different from anything you would see or do in the Papagayo area. If you are only planning on one day of touring from Peace 3 nights could be a little long. We spent 2 nights with no tours and it was plenty.

3)There would be a good chance of seeing sloths in the Sarapiqui area. I have stayed at Los Innocentes further north and inland and in Flamingo/Potrero so can't say for sure about the sloths in the Papagayo area. Hopefully someone who has actually stayed there can help out. Check with Allegro tours for tours in that area. http://www.costarica-realestate.com/...yo%20Tours.htm

Sounds like a wonderful trip and seeing Costa Rica for the first time can be a wonderful experience. I have been going for years and years now but still remember my first trip.

Happy dreams of Costa Rica!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM

I would definitely book your air from SJO to Liberia now, these are very small planes and can book up quickly. You can book at Sansa, right next to the SJO airport, or Nature Air, approx 1/2 hour from the SJO airport.

I'm spending 2 nights at PL in a couple weeks, so if you're happy to stay there 3 nights I think that is fine. You'll half at least a full day to wander about the extensive grounds, then you could take a day trip the next day to somewhere like Poas.

I'm not really sure where to advise you to see a sloth, it's hit or miss even in the areas where they are known to be. Sure someone else here can chime in on that.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to book my flight now! If anyone has any other info on seeing sloths in Papagayo or new Peace Lodge- please let me know Cant wait!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM

As for sloths, your best chance might be the Rincon de la Vieja area. That is a fun day trip from Papagayo. They can be about anywhere in the country. Hard to spot much of the time unless you are with someone who has a really keen eye for them. Good luck and have fun!

Area around Peace Lodge has a lot of options--for me, right now, 3 nights would be too much. But if I'd not been in this area several times previously, 3 nights at PL would be just great for exploring all over the place---excellent central location.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:38 AM

For sloths, if you are at Peace Lodge you could go down to the Sarapiqui lowlands near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui.

There is plenty of good habitat in that area - but they are [to say the least] sedentary and can be tricky to spot.

You might want to consider hiring a nature guide for a day and making that a 'target species'.

Jerry
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM

You can book the jungle river tour on the Sarapiqui River at the front desk of Peace Lodge. Once you are on the boat, just tell the guide that you want to see a sloth. Chances are he'll find one for you. They aim to please!