1st trip to CR - is Peace Lodge enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since hearing about Peace Lodge, my longing to go to Costa Rica is even greater. We're not yet prepared to do the whirlwind volcano, beach, etc trip, and I'm wondering if going JUST to Peace Lodge would seem like a fantastic trip?

We love seeing new places and think we'd love all the natural beauty at PL. We'd eventually plan to do more of CR, but for our first trip, do you think this would be a good idea? I'm thinking about 5 nights, and am open to suggestions/feedback!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Just returned from our 1st CR trip...last 2 nights at Peace Lodge. It is a very nice place, and only an hour or so from the airport. However, staying 5 nights in that spot seems like way too long, for me.

If you don't want to "jump around" much.....suggest do 2 nights at PL and 3 nights at LaFortuna (the volcano area). Much much more to do and see in that area.
EK
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:55 PM

I'm not much help on Peace Lodge, but I'd have trouble making it to Costa Rica and not getting to a beach. Manuel Antonio is probably within striking distance as are some of the beaches on the Nicoya peninsula (beautiful as well). Your travel time will be less if you go via puddle jumper airplanes or rent your own car (buses can be pretty slow). Just don't leave your keys at the bottom of the scenic waterfall under 20 ft of water...
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 04:01 AM

Peace Lodge is a beautiful location and one that we very much enjoyed for 2 nights. I could have probably stayed a 3rd night, but would not have stayed 5.

With that said, we do not have any idea what activities you are interested in. I assume you have looked at the side trips offered from PL, if those appeal to you and you feel you can keep your days filled at your comfort level - then go for it.

Costa Rica has some fabulous places, if you could maybe tell us a bit about your expectations, maybe we could help you come up with location to fill your wish list.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM

No, Peace Lodge is not enough. We were there for one night and it was enough. We could have done maybe one more night but after that, we would have been bored (not to mention broke! $60+ for dinner). I agree with ekellyga; do two nights at PL and 3 at Arenal. Arenal Paraiso was wonderful and it gets great reviews here.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 10:30 AM

I just returned from a 3 week honeymoon in CR and the Peace Lodge was definitely one of the highlights. That being said, there are things to consider before booking 5 nights there.

For one thing, the Peace Lodge is very expensive, and not only by Costa Rican standards. It is a high end resort with a very disney-esque or Rain Forest Cafe feel to it. It is the perfect spot for a honeymoon retreat; the private jaccuzi on your balcony overlooking the rain forest is amazing, the service is incredible, and the waterfalls and butterfly garden are all beautiful. They will not, however, occupy 5 days. The waterfall hike and butterfly garden can be done in a couple hours.
I'd agree with others that Arenal is a great second destination, and together with the Peace Lodge would make a nice, relaxing week.
If you're feeling more adventurous, our favorite activity in CR was a 3 day white water rafting trip down the Pacuare.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies...the consensus seems to be that 4 nights may be pushing it...I'll take that into consideration.

Basically, CR seems like there are so many wonderful areas to visit and we would definitely like to do a big 10-12 day trip in the future. This current idea I had spawned from my husband's 35th birthday approaching and wanting to take him on a fabulous getaway.

This would only be 4 nights or so, so I'll have to do more research to see what would be best. The volcano area seems like it would be wonderful to see as well.

As far as what we like - we are in our mid 30's and could be just as happy enjoying a stay at a luxurious hotel (with a fabulous jacuzzi) as we would be hiking through the forest, rafting and ziplining. On this trip we'd probably only do one "adventure" day - most likely a zip line or rafting tour.

I know that this short trip will leave us eagerly awaiting our next CR adventure!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:08 AM

It wouldn't be too hard to get over to Manuel Antonio from Peace Lodge and feel pampered at Si Como No. You would get the beach and lowland rainforest experience there. Too much time at Peace Lodge wouldn't give you much of a sense for wonderful Costa Rica.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Hi,
I understand your wanting to do more later when you have more time but I suggest two locations.

1. mountains & volcano Arenal
2. mountains & Manuel Antonio

My suggestions would be 2 nights Peace Lodge, 2 or thee nights: Mango Moon, Si Como No or Tulemar in Manuel Antonio.

OR

2 nights Peace Lodge, 2 or 3 nights Tabacon Springs Resort.

You will return to Arenal, there is so much to do up there and it is so pretty.

Peace Lodge has to be one of the most beautiful places in the country, for sure. However, it is remote on a mountain, only a few small Costa Rica "tiny towns" dotting the way to and from it with very few places to eat.

I personally do not like the food at the lodge and would not like it for 5 days for sure!

The grounds are probably the most beautiful anywhere. Between that and Tabacon at Arenal/La Fortuna, you could have have a more special vacation.

HOP