Search

costa rica questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa rica questions

Hello,
We are a family of four (2 kids age 7 and 12) planning our first trip to CR this summer. Anyone have thoughts as to whether Jun 26-July 5 or July 27-Aug 5 would be better from a weather standpoint?
As to the itinerary, I was thinking for the 10 nights:
2-3 nights Peace Lodge (prefer 2 nights but not sure if hotel allows)
2-3 nights Arenal (should we go for 3 nights? Lost Iguana vs Arenal Nayara Hotel?)
4-6 nights Manual Antonio (Si Como No? La Posada?)
I'm open to any suggestions on dates and hotels/itinerary. Is the poas volcano something we should try not to miss?
Thanks to anyone who would like to offer comments.
Laura
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM

Laura,

Your family will have a wonderful time. Good selections for seeing the best of CR in a few days.

My opinion, 3 nights would be too many to Peace Lodge (wonderful as it is), 2 is just right. At least we've always found it perfect for us. Will it be up and running by that time?

Arenal needs at least 3 nights. Lots to do there. Can't recommend on the hotel, but both get good reviews. We like Arenal Observatory Lodge as well, and you have the lava view from there at least for now (and since early 2007).

Manuel Antonio could be enjoyed adequately in 3-4 nights. For us, 5-6 would be too much. We've never done more than 3, but think 4 would be great. We loved Si Como No. Also lately, we've really enjoyed Tulemar Bungalows. . Villa Mot Mot, upper, would be perfect for your family. We rented lower for mid-July. Upper is more suite-like, large, higher, better views, etc. We loved the private beach at Tulemar.

Keep in mind that your first and last nights MAY need to be spent near the hotel, depending on arrival and departure times. It will take you about an hour to get to Peace Lodge from the airport, but it can take up to 3 hours to get out, get a car rented, and be on your way. You won't want to drive to Peace Lodge (or anywhere else for that matter) after dark. That time of year, it is fairly dim by 6:00 and completely dark by 6:30.

On departure day, it is a good idea to be at the airport no later than 2.5 hours before your departure time. Sometimes, it is a breeze and takes very little time; other times the lines are long and it can take a LONG time. Best to be safe as it seems to be fairly unpredictable.

Hope this helps at least a little. We've had very little trouble with rainfall in many years of visiting in June, July, and August. Of course, it has rained now and then, but has never really gotten in the way of our plans. Last year at Manuel Antonio, we played until about 2:00, then watched DVD's and napped in the room during the afternoon rains.

Good luck in planning!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM

The Peace Lodge is a wonderful hotel; I hope it will be open again by the time your trip takes place since it was damaged in the earthquake. They will definitely let you stay for two nights, and that's just the right amount of time to spend there. I think Poas is worth seeing, but you have to go early a.m. for the best chance to see it before the fog rolls in.

We always stay at the Lost Iguana, and we love it. Los Lagos is very popular with families, so you might want to check that one out too. Three nights would be great; we've even stayed four.

I totally agree with shillmac; 3 or 4 nights in Manuel Antonio is plenty. Check out Buena Vista Villa, Tulemar Bungalows, or Si Como NO - all get good reviews. I'd pick the late June early July dates; you'll probably get daily rain but not enough to stop you from enjoying yourselves. We've traveled then and enjoyed it. You can get good rates during the green season too.

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

shillmac and volcanogirl, thank you so much for your info. I didn't realize that the Peace Lodge had been damaged - will have to check on that. If we do 2 nights Peace Lodge, 3 nights Arenal and 3-4 nights M.A. that would leave us the last night in San Jose to be near the airport. Was thinking of getting a driver so we wouldn't have to worry about a car, but maybe we'll wish we had a car to come and go as we please?
Any suggestions on good hotels near the airport in San Jose that still feel like Costa Rica?
Thanks again.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM

Our favorite is a little B&B, Hotel Villa Bonita, about 5 min. from the airport. There are a couple of good restaurants within 2 blocks. $50 with internet, delicious breakfast. Tico owned. . very nice young couple, Humberto & Carmen.

Another good choice (about 15-20 min. from airport) is Orquideas Inn. . .the Marilyn Monroe Bar is fun in the evenings and the restaurant good, although we usually stay at the bar and order.

You won't really need a car at any of the 3 locations. The taxis at Arenal do add up so you might want to rent one while you are there just for local driving.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM

In Arenal, with kids your kids' ages, Los Lagos is the best choice. Those pools and waterslides will make your kids so happy they'll be talking about it for years.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
RAC

Not sure about Peace Lodge--supposedly they'll be open, but do construction projects in CR ever finish on time? Most people spend two nights max at the Peace Lodge because there just isn't that much to do in the area--Poas and the Peace Lodge/La Paz grounds is one day's activity. You're pretty far removed from anything else, especially since the road north of Peace Lodge has been destroyed.

La Posada is a great choice for just about anyone in Manuel Antonio. It's more B&B than luxury hotel.

Orquideas Inn is a great option.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM

I think Orquideas Inn is probably the most popular one on the boards. We stayed at Grano de Oro and really liked it. They had great service, a very good restaurant on site, and it's built in an old mansion, so it has a little charm to it. www.granodeoro.com is their website.

If the Peace Lodge is open, we did a combo tour through them that took us to Poas and then the Doka Coffee Estate. It was a great day.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks again. Just wondering if I should consider an itinerary instead that does 3-4 nights M.A. and the rest in Osa (Bosque) and skip Arenal? If so, how do you get from MA to Osa?
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

PS Shillmac, thanks for the tip on Villa Mot Mot, it looks perfect for us! Hope we can reserve it!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Monica, I'm considering Los Lagos but I alternately hear thats it wonderful or "cheesy". Hard to tell. We are not Four Seasons people but we do like nice upper end hotels with stuff for the kids.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM

Laura, I'd get right on it. When I booked 3 weeks ago, lower Mot Mot was already reserved for the dates I wanted in early July. We had to shift our itinerary a bit to get it booked for a later date.

If you sacrificed Peace Lodge and Arenal both, you could certainly do the Osa. You'd fly back to San Jose, then catch a flight to Manuel Antonio (Quepos). It could probably be done in half a day, the transfer.

Bosque del Cabo, at this time, has plenty of availablity during those months. I'd do the first night at Iguana Lodge, on the beach, close to Puerto Jimenez, take the boat tour to Animal Sanctuary the next morning. It returns about 11:30; you can then get a pre-arranged ride up to Bosque for 3 nights.

A change of plans in this direction would cut you short one night, I think, as you'd most likely need to stay the first night near the airport and get an early flight out the next a.m. If you arrive midday, it will be difficult to catch that last domestic flight down to Puerto Jimenez, and with afternoon rains that flight isn't dependable anyway.

I think your kids would be quite impressed with Peace Lodge, and the Monarch Villa would be perfect for you. Upstairs and downstairs for a family. Pricey, but really, really nice.
However, I would be concerned about when it will be finished. There's no mention of a time frame on their website. At least no updated mention, and it's been 7 weeks or so since the earthquake. They were saying 3 months, but that's not gonna happen.

That said, there is absolutely enough in the Arenal area to keep you guys entertained for 4 nights. Another option would be head into San Jose, stay 2 nights at Grana de Oro, Don Carlos, or Brittania and do a daytrip white water rafting on the Rio Pacuare. You can even do an overnight, staying at a river lodge. Gets rave reviews. Check out Aventuras Naturales and Rios Tropicales for outfitters. Both have websites.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, more appropriately), there are about a gadzillion more options, but let's not go there. You are on the right track for a first time visit!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM

Laura, I didn't point out the obvious. Arenal and the Osa might be a better combo than MA and the Osa, unless you are strong beach people. If so, then MA and Osa would work just fine. Hotels in both areas are generally up high, looking down on an ocean view.

Hiking down to the beach is a nice activity at Bosque del Cabo, but their big draw is the extensive trails and lots of opportunity for wildlife viewing. In Manuel Antonio, shuttles run to the beach all the time. One neat thing about Tulemar Bungalows (or Buena Vista, same property) is their private beach, and it is very nice.

If you want to limit your beachtime a bit in favor of other types of activities, Arenal would be a better option over MA.

Another option on the Osa (closer to the beach) is one of the homes for rent. Read hamsboomer's recent review for information on Casa Bambu. That would be fun. What you would give up would be the hiking that Bosque del Cabo offers. All in all, it's a matter of what activies your family would be most interested in.

Hope this isn't too muddled and makes SOME sense!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM

We liked Arenal Volcano Inn in Arenal..

We stayed at Hotel Costa Verde in Manuel Antonio. It was pretty good, but we tried to book La Posada (it was already full). I would definitely recommend La Posada, it is literally right next to the National Park and within short walk to the beach. Si Como No is an extremely far walk from the beach (well maybe 25 minutes) but walking back from the beach/park to the hotel is up a hill and dangerous without sidewalks, or you can take the local bus. With kids I think I would recommend La Posada more for location. But if you really want the view, then Si Como No has a better view.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac, yes that does make sense, thank you so much....I think the schlep factor will be higher if we try to do Osa, so I'm thinking to do Peace Lodge if available, then Arenal, then M.A. If we can get Mot Mot in M.A. it sounds divine. I'll also see if we can do 4 nights in Arenal. If Peace Lodge is not available, do you recommend trying to go directly to Arenal from the airport (we'll get a driver) or stay somewhere in between? Is Villa Blanca in the cloud forest a good choice for this in lieu of Peace Lodge? Thanks so much, I feel like I owe you a travel agent commission I'll send some good karma your way
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Andrea! I'll check out Volcano Inn and La Posada. This site rocks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:14 AM

Hey, I'll take all the karma I can get!

Yes, Villa Blanca would be an excellent choice. It's on my list and gets great reviews.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM

Los Lagos isn't cheesy, at least I wouldn't describe it as that. It's not lux either. I think it's a great place for families for socializing in the evening especially after long days. Your kids will LOVE it. I usually prefer to stay in smaller places and also loved El Silencio del Campo. Here you get the wonderful grounds, hot spring and personal involvement from the friendly owners.

Agree with shillmac to try for the Mot-Mot. Can't go wrong there with the accomodations or private beach. Haven't stayed at La Posada but would definitely try with all the great reviews it gets.

Don't want to steer you away from Osa either as it is a very special place. It's hard fitting everything in and hopefully you'll be back! Bosque is definitely my favorite place in all of Costa Rica. Increasing time to 7 days this next trip in June.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Ditto what hipvirgochick said, Los Lagos isn't cheesy, it's just not luxurious. Definitely set up for families. But that's a relief after trying to get your kids to behave for days at some of the nicer places. It's all about the pools there, and for your kids you won't be sorry. I also like boutique hotels and high end places but every now and then you've got to throw your kids a bone!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:04 AM

I'll chime in that Los Lagos isn't cheesy in any way. The rooms are basic but the grounds are beautiful and the pools are very nice. My kids (7 and 9) LOVED Los Lagos while we were there. You will not be disappointed. We did the zip lines on site as well as their horseback riding tour and enjoyed both. If we ever go back, I'd stay there again with no hesitation. Their prices are excellent. On a previous trip, my husband and I stayed at Tabacon, and for more than double the price - it has nothing over Los Lagos other than the name and a nicer bathroom in the room...even the volcano views are better at Las Lagos.

Also, we stayed in the Mot Mot at Tulemar - again - highly recommened. It's beautiful. The views are spectaculer. The deck is so nice, the private beach is a great feature and even their pool is nice, but small. I've been to Osa (Bosque del Cabo) on a previous trip, but while I did really LOVE it there, with kids - I'd do the Arenal, MA and Peace Lodge if they're re-opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -