Chile or Buenos Aires with Kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip (7-10 days) next Christmas with kids (10, 8, 5, 2) and maybe a grandparent along (healty, active). Not sure where to go and what to see/do. Went to Morocco this past year with them and had a great time. Would ideally rent a house/villa/flat rather than stay in hotel (usually cheaper, more relaxed). Want some mix of city/market life and either day trips to hike/nature or perhaps two different places, although that begins to sound hard. Intersted in local culture, food, walking places, parks, a museum or two if kid-friendly, maybe beach, fairly open...PLEASE GIVE ADVICE IN SPECIFICS (areas to rent, etc)! Many thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM

I have been in BA for almost a month now. As much as I love it here, I would not recommend it as a vacation destination for people with children of the ages you mention. There is not a beach here and although some parks have fenced play areas, the only places that I can see that your children would enjoy are the play areas in the mall. If youd like to spend your vacation there or in your hotel pool, then this is the place. But I think children of your ages would much prefer a beach area or something maybe like Costa Rica. Not the city.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

We were in Morocco and the kids loved it. Exploring markets, going to cafes, museums, etc. So I think they'll do fine. We are looking at renting a place in Palermo Soho. Thoughts? We'll also take a day trip to Colonia or Tigre and def. to a ranch...
Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM

hello!! we have 4 kids, 8,7,5,2 and just booked flights to chile for 5 weeks over christmas. we have just begun our research and it seems daunting. we took 3 (ages 5,3,2) to new zealand for 2 mos. and they did great (and we had a great time). but now our 2 yr.old wildcard adds to the mix! would love any info. you find that you'd like to share. we are thinking 4-5 places, each for about a week, with day trips.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM

I think that kids will enjoy Santiago more than Buenos Aires. They are both big cities, BA is bigger. Santiago has by far the best setting with the Andes and the coast within easy reach. Lots of parks and playgrounds and enough museums and theatres to keep everyone amused. Both have a great restaurants and are kid friendly, but there is more variety in Santiago.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM

I cannot imagine why Santiago is going to be better for children that BUenos Aires...However your question was Chile or Buenos Aires and of course it is not the right equivalency since Chile is a whole country. In Buenos Aires there are many fine activities for children, like spending a day in a Estancia. The one I have been in is Callled estancia Dos Hermanos , www..estancialosdoshermanos.com/
for a daily fee, you get two lovely horse rides of one hour or more each, they are extremely careful to match riders to the right horse, or you can also ride an old horse carriage, you get to swim in a pool, breakffast, lunch and tea. Being the lunch a tipical ASADO with sipping MATE if you wish. It is a full exciting day ideal for children or grown ups. Then there are many other lovely things to do like a boat ride in the Tigre, which can included a nearby visit to an amusement park,they would love that.
To makes things better for children you can get to the TIgre area in a special train.
There are Museums for children, the historical Cabildo( Government house in Colonial)days, tango shows , and much more, like the Zoo, a ton of parks...bicycle tours, horse rides, a place by the Argentine Automovil Club were people can ride small carts ( this has to be checked). Often there is theatre for children. Argentina is a country that loves sports, they play almost everything. Of course if you wish to go into the Country there are many lovely destinations but if you stay in Buenos Aires it will be fine.
If you care for very nice beaches in nearby Uruguay, Punta del Este is a resort with great beaches, you can get there by plane or by a combination of a huge ferry plus bus, a company called Buquebus owns the ferries and also offers good packages for visiting different cities in Uruguay including Punta del Este.
Closer to Buenos AIres, you have Colonia a little charming town from the colonial days.
should you wish to splurge the Four Seasons in Carmelo, again very close to Buenos Aires,
has it all, all kind of activities for children and grown ups, including horses etc.
Frankly I do not think the size of Buenos Aires makes any problem for a family with children on the contrary because many children live there there are tons of activities for children. Good luck.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM

I again would not recommend Buenos Aires for a family with children of your childrens ages.
It is a wonderful place for an adult vacation. If you are thinking of yourself, thats great. Kids do not need to go to a city this congested to enjoy a family vacation.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM

I took my son (12 yo) to Bs As last August; he absolutely loved it and is begging me to come back this year, it all depends on what your children enjoy, mine loves soccer, meat and big cities, so he was in Heaven. I hope you enjoy your trip, whatever city you choose.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM

I think you can easily choose in Punta, if you go, some Timeshare apartments. They are very much geared to children. Like one we rented with our grand children in the are called Rincon del Indio, I forgot the name. Ideal to go with children.
It depends a lot of your budget, that place in December should be reasonble, the matter in fact Punta is not so expensive around Christmas most Argentines are inArgentina for the holidays. Good bargains exist before January. Good luck.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Buenos Aires!!! As long as you're in on the city secrets and tips Buenos Aires is great for kids. The government and private groups are always putting on public kids events such as free puppet shows, circuses, zoo events etc. Palermo is a great place to stay with kids - Id suggest staying near Av. Libertador where you can walk to the Parques de Palermo and play all day. In Tigre there are also some kid museums. For help planning i suggest www.baculturalconcierge.com - they're great in terms of figuring out solutions for travelers who bring lots of "baggage" so to speak- they are great for older travelers and have experience with kids and babies- they also provide babysitters and pediatricians on call. Might as well see if they have any advice for you!

Good luck!