2 weeks in Argentina with a 2 yr old.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Buenos Aires at the end of May with my husband and 2 yr old. We are planning to stay 4 days in B.A. We are also going to Iguazu Falls. Should we stay there 1 night or 2 nights? I understand that Sheraton is the best choice there. We are also exploring going to Bariloche, Patagonia and Ishuaia although it might be too much to do in 7 days. Any recommendations in which to choose keeping in mind my 2 yr old?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:05 AM

I would stay two days in Iguazu.
bariloche is an ideal place to go with children, although 2 yers old is still young to enjoy Bariloche as an active infant.
Argentineans love children.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:08 AM

We went to Argentina for 3 1/2 weeks in December with our 22 month old and 3 1/2 year old. It was a fabulous experience. We spent 3 nights in Iguazu which both kids loved. The Falls are incredible and the butterflies, lizards etc. were of great interest to them. The Sheraton has a tiny playground on site which was fun for them and in Iguazu was a small carnival with kiddy rides that was fun for them as well. We also went to Calafate for Perito Moreno Glacier. They enjoyed the boat ride by the glacier and just running around on the balconies overlooking the glacier. A trip to Upshala glacier which meant a full day boat trip was more enjoyable for us than for them. But even it had enough to keep them interested and we brought snacks and books for when they got a bit bored. Bariloche was fun for them and it has a fun alpine slide area, a tiny tiny Paleontology museum and of course, the chocolate everwhere. While in Buenos Aires we were on the go quite a bit but included trips to the zoo, the Japanese Garden (feeding the koi was a big hit) and stops at the many playgrounds throughout the city. The people of Buenos Aires are so very friendly and welcoming to kids that the trip was a delight. The kids even enjoyed Recoleta cemetery and the tour of the Opera House! My 3 1/2 year old just told us that he can't wait to go back to Argentina. We can't either. Enjoy!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:24 PM

jenm, I read your posting because I am interested in Buenos Aires. What a great posting, it is easy to tell that you must be great parents. Because I love Argentina, although I am not Argentinean, I am delighted that you had a good time and found people caring and helpful.
It is a good feeling among so many bad news these days.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Graziella5b, we loved every minute of our time in Argentina. It is a beautiful country. Thanks for the compliments about being good parents. I think people underestimate kids. As long as you're flexible and take their needs into consideration I think you can take them anywhere. But it helps when you're visiting a country that is so filled with wonderful people. Kids really open doors and break down barriers. One of our best moments was eating in a little restuarant near Iguazu Falls and having the owner bring his own kids over and then take us all around back to play with their dogs who'd just had puppies. We speak little Spanish, they spoke little English but we could all enjoy watching our kids play together with the puppies. We too love Argentina and dream of when we can save enough money to go back again.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:38 PM

This has been the best moment of the day: Reading these messages about Argentina. I am delighted to see people liked my country. We need to hear this that is why i appreciate them so much. THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO EVERYBODY. A very nice surprise in my first day at the forum
It is true: we like children and we like family life.

A 2 year old child is still a baby he/she needs more time to begin to enjoy a new place.

I would stay in Iguazu: only 2 nights that would make 3 days. (1st Sheraton in the park, but there are others overlooking the park)

May is nice in the Lake circuit,
any city there is nice and quiet.The baby would enjoy the place. the temperature there in may is chilly. a jacket will do. Bariloche is wonderful but there are others. They are all near. as soon as you get the hotel. cottages are better, (they suit better with the landscape) you can explore all the region. Anyway there is a hotel in Bariloche which is spectacular in front of the lake. To be recommended.

Distances are long and going to Ushuaia
requires 7 days. 3 in Ushuaia and 3 in Glaciers. You cant make this tour in less time. Not recommended for a small baby.
lots of regards, good luck and enjoy Argentina.
isabel