Where to go with a 6 and 10 year old? Santiago, Rio, or Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a female that is considering teaching for a semester in either Santiago, Rio, or Buenos Aires and have 2 kids that will be 6 and 10. Any advice or suggestions? Which would you choose and why?
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 02:51 PM

BAires. Fantastic city. Great parks, long avenues, small and large plazas, many housing options, great architecture, terrific restaurants, theatre, movies, cafe culture. Many foreign tourists. Nearby estancias for weekend visits

Rio if you love the beach, though think about if you want the kids exposed more to Portuguese or Spanish. Great beaches nearby too. Cariocas are incredibly friendly. Both cities are fascinating.

I would give a pass to Santiago, vis a vis these other two options. Its a well developed city, with very good infrastructure, but not of the same interest as Rio or BA, in our view.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Kids would love Rio--beaches, wildlife in Tijuca park, samba train up to the view at the Christ statue, trams up Sugarloaf, great music, peddleboats on the Lagoa, bicycling along the beach on Sundays, lots of great outdoor places to eat and drink, kids welcome everywhere until all hours, residents who love kids and go out of their way to engage them, lots of possibilities for great weekend trips by bus or plane---but it is a VERY expensive city to live in any manner close to what you might be accustomed to, and you must pay for private school (public education is a disgrace) in Portuguese or even more for an international school. I can't imagine any semester-long teaching job would come close to covering even a small percentage of expenses in Rio, but congratulations if you've foound such a position. Enjoy.

Haven't lived in the other 2 cities, so can't compare.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:38 AM

saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires

Vibe not as dodgy for kids as Rio more culture more to see and do.Spent a lot of time there when that age my father
directed Reichold Chemicals for South America from there.
I had a blast. Santiago stiffer more expensive earthquake risk higher wold be my #2.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 04:09 AM

From personal experience, I strongly disagree with the idea that there is currently a "dodgy" "vibe" in Rio for kids.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM

Wow... Stgo 100% if you have kids. It is as safe as any safe European city. The same cannot be said of Rio or BA.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:01 AM

Santiago for sure. Rio is fun for adults for a few days, but will wear you down over time, especially with kids in tow. Buenos Aires is an interesting city, but ultimately large and gray like a lot of other large cities around the world. The people aren't as friendly as in the provincial parts of Argentina. Also Spanish is a more useful language for your kids to learn, but the Spanish spoken in Argentina isn't the best Spanish to learn. It seems to have been corrupted by Italian, because they don't use all of the verb tenses that the rest of the Spanish speaking world uses.