Canopy Tour for Larger People?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked in another post, but I thought I'd create it's own separate post for this. My husband REALLY wants to do the canopy tour in either Arenal or near Peace lodge. Does anybody know of a tour that can accomodate larger size people? He weighs about 300lbs, is 6'2" and has like a 44 waist I think.

If not, any suggestions on a cool and unique plan B. We're definitely doing the rafting. Any other suggestions?

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM

I can only say that the cable line has an 8000 lbs stress/tension capacity.

Maybe someone else has taken the Canopy ride that weighs in your husband range and will be more helpful

Percy
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:37 PM

I am told that 225 is the max , but check with individual operators to be sure. Also, he is too heavy for horseback riding.

But there is lots to do using your own power...amazing hiking in many places.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Oh no. I'm getting really discouraged. So no canopy tour and no horseback riding? I'm starting to wonder if we should do Costa Rica at all since it seems we won't be able to do a lot of the adventure stuff. For good 'ol relaxation we can stay closer to home. We live in Miami so the caribbean is close. I was so excited, but now I'm bummed. Do you guys know if there is anywahere we can raft in April? Are all the rivers too low for a real thrill? ***sigh****
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:55 PM

We did the canopy tour in Nicauraga two years ago and they had a 300+ lb weight restriction at that time. It was a great tour. 13 cables.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:59 PM

p.s. I've topped my thread about the Barcleo Playa Montlimar from two years ago in case you're interested.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM

You could ask the canopy tour operators what the weight limit is. Some have email.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

In case you didn't see my other post. I found out they have up to a size XXL (size 42 waist) belt. So, the issue is more the harness/belt size rather than weight. Hope this helps someone.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:21 AM

>> they have up to a size XXL (size 42 waist) belt. So, the issue is more the harness/belt size rather than weight.>>

exc. point. i've seen that some companies put a weight number as a maximum, because they need a policy. i assumed that 225 is a number that someone thought was reasonable, considering the harnesses they have. in reality the cable can hold a ridiculous amount of weight, and they boast that when giving the safety talk, to put minds at ease.

we had a guy on our canopy (skytrek monteverde) who was certainly over 240, but he fit into a bigger harness, so he was good to go, and they didn't ask his weight. the harness must be the reason for the policy.

by the way, the harnesses, at least the ones we used, were superior to the ones pictured at skytrek.com . they really should update the site, because the older harness was a single thick rope with a knot tied plus a blue safety strap. we had no rope, but a second heavy duty strap with nice clasps, of which i trusted more than a hand tied knot..

i'm still curious and haven't heard the facts -about safety regulations, licensing, inspections, safety records, statistics, injuries/fatalities, etc. difficult to research such things for a foreign country.
i want to try selvetura next time.

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Just got back from a week at the Four Seasons. We did the canopy tour that was close by - Witches Rock. I'm about 6'2", 275 and had absolutely no problem. They said nothing about weight restrictions there. I think the harness size has a lot to do with it. Can't speak for others. I'm in pretty good shape and it was no problem at all. What a blast!