Cancun Restaurant Recommendations?

Aug 13th, 2002, 07:34 PM
julie

Cancun Restaurant Recommendations?

Vacationing with 3 kids - 14, 17, 21. Will eat breakfast at our hotel (we have a kitchen). Recommendations for lunches and dinners appreciated.

Aug 14th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Jane

July, Captain's Cove is very good. It is on the Lagoon and for a late dinner you can watch the sun set. Just beware of the timeshare salemen...they are roaming around in the restaurant while you are eating as well as outside.

Aug 14th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Roaming Timeshare Sharks

Knowing that a restaurant allows timeshare sharks to play nicey-nicey among their customers would keep me away from a restaurant no matter how good the food, view or prices were. They can hover in their booths or storefronts or on the beach; I can walk past and ignore them, but DO NOT interrupt my dinner with your faux-friendly come-on which eventually leads to "the kill".

Aug 14th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Elizabet

Have you heard of the 2x1 Entertainment Plus card? It only costs $15 US and you get 2x1 on meals for a number of restaurants and clubs and get discounts on tours.

No, I do not work for this company....just truly believe in it.

The web address is:

www.entertainment-plus.net

Brant will meet you at your hotel and you can pay him when you get it....or he can mail it to you ahead of time.

Oh yeah....Sanborn's and VIP's is kind of like a Dennys type restaurant that is cheaper...100% Natural is good, and for some fun there is Perico's downtown.

Aug 15th, 2002, 07:22 AM
x

take them downtown and let them experience a more authentic mexican restaurant. the public bus goes from the hotel zone to downtown.

Aug 16th, 2002, 04:47 AM
joe

The salespeople at Captain's Cove must have something to do with the fact that the Royal Resorts provide a shuttle to that very restaurant!

Aug 16th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Gary

I would recommend having dinner downtown at Perico's like it was already suggested. The whole family can have fun at this place. They dance around and include everyone in the fun to make it really enjoyable for a real "Mexican" fiesta.

Aug 17th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Lyn

I agree with the suggestion to go to "downtown" Cancun. It is further than the closer tourist area in the hotel zone that some may consider to be downtown. We took a taxi down because it does take pretty long to get there via bus but we took the bus back to save money. I recommend "El Pescadore" restaurant. It's a small but very good restaurant and it's fabulous for filet mignon and 12.5 oz. lobster tail...the best! They also have very good authentic Mexican food.

We just returned from our 5th trip to Cancun and the "El Pescadore" restaurant is still our favorite. We went to "Captain's Cove" on a recommendation from my sister but it's wasn't great and we heard from others that it's gone downhill.

Aug 17th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Lyn

Oops, we also liked the Argentina Steakhouse which is located in the same area as Hardrock Cafe....wonderful steaks and side dishes. Also, El Maguey in the hotel zone is very good for Mexican food.

Aug 17th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Dee

The Royal Resorts own the Captain's Cove restaurant. 3 of their resorts are across the street: The Royal Mayan, The Royal Caribbean, and The Royal Islander. The shuttle is provided for anyone staying at any of the 5 Royal Resorts to travel to/from all their properties.

Aug 18th, 2002, 07:01 AM
jeri

we did an all inclusive - had a huge crowd with lots of kids and liked the convience of not having to schedule the group on food. we did take buses to the real markets as others have mentioned and had beer/soda and snacks with the locals, watching friday night soccer in the plaza. our teens liked that a lot.

Aug 18th, 2002, 08:21 PM
MMM

Las Almendras........I think it was called that. Authentic regional (Yucatan) food at a very cheap price. The only thing is that it is downtown.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
dan woodlief

Kids tend to like tacos. Try El Tacolate downtown. It is not expensive and has a wide variety of great tacos.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Nancy

Maria Bonita in the Zona Hotelera
El Pescador
La Habichuela
Los Almendros - all downtown