Cancun for Retired Couple

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:24 AM
1WayOut

Cancun for Retired Couple

Help. My Father/Mother In-Laws are planning a vacation to Cancun in late February 2003.

They are thinking they would like to go to the Moon Palace. Is this a good idea? I have been there and it's nice, but large. They are both over 70 and my Dad in-law has a hard time climbing stairs and getting around.

Is there a better "Palace" resort?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think they would be better off at the Rolandi on Isle Mujeres? What do you all think out there?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Mandy

I would think Moon Palace is too large and spread out for your in-laws given their age and ability to get around as you stated.

Cancun Palace is very nice and not as large. Plus they have nice ramps most everywhere and not many stairs. I haven't been to Sun Palace so can't comment on it.

The Omni is also a very nice resort with little stair climbing. Their all-inclusive is one of the best ones around.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:18 AM
1WayOut

Thanks for the info. I agree with your assessment. The Omni looks pretty large and some of the comments on Fodors say the sales pitch for "time shares" is aggressive.

Did you find this to be the case?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:45 PM
ann

just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I'm in my early 40's and I wouldn't want to stay at any of the Palace resorts! I feel like I'm too old! They seem like big kids going to camp places and include lots of physically oriented group activities. Think about a nicer hotel, such as the LeMeridien,which seems a lot more "civilized"!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Mandy

The Omni is half the size of Moon Palace and not very spread out. We last stayed at the Omni 2 years ago and weren't bothered once by timeshare folks. We did volunteer to sit through their presentation though (they have a desk in the lobby). We received a $100 hotel credit and the pressure was not intense. We said no politely at the end of the presentation and that was it. It took about 30 minutes. And remember, we went to them, not the other way around. I suppose it could change. I do know and have experienced very persistent time share salespeople at other resorts.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Sadie

Ann--don't say you're too old. We have stayed at Cancun Palace two times and yes it is a high energy resort. But there are many (and I mean many) couples your age and older at the resort. You don't have to participate in all the activities. Sometimes its just fun to watch. My parents went with us once and they enjoyed it very much. They are in their early 50's and they just relaxed by the pool and took walks along the beach and played miniature golf.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:32 PM
RJones

My husband and I have begun traveling to Cancun each year beginning in 1997 after he retired. We've been to Cancun Palace 2 times and enjoyed our stay very much. We mostly enjoy watching the younger people participating in the activities. We like Cancun palace because of the friendly wait staff and their good food. I don't think you have to be young to enjoy staying there.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:24 PM
ann

maybe its just the difference between the introvert and the extrovert!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Karen

I wouldn't think Moon Palace would be the kind of place for them. Depends if they mind screaming kids running around all over the place like some of these resorts. Le Meridian is a smaller upscale hotel with easy bus transport to get around that they might enjoy more.

Villa Roland is a wonderful hotel. We were there before Christmas. One thing to consider if they do decide to go there is request a room on the ground floor, no elevators. We emailed the hotel after we made the reservation to make sure that we had ground floor. The stairs would be a definite challenge. Also, being a 20 room hotel its very quiet, no kids while we were there. It's more of a vegging out place. The small town isn't far away but they would need to rent a golf cart or take cabs.

Hope you find the right place for them. Good luck!