Buenos Aires Apartment - Which Intersection

Aug 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Buenos Aires Apartment - Which Intersection

I'm looking at renting an apartment from "apartmentsba" for approx. two weeks in October.

It's our first trip to BA (I'm taking my 59-yr mother). I've looked all of the following up on a map, to check distance from the subway. Otherwise, it's hard to decide, since we don't know the neighbourhood.

Are there any of the following intersections that you recommend over the others? Or, probably more importantly, are there any that are best avoided?

Las Heras/Azcuenaga
Laprida/Pena
Las Heras/Junin
Azcuenaga/Pena
Austria/Juncal
Liberator/Montevideo
Pueyrredon/Beruti
Pacheco de Melo/Uriburu
Uriburu/Juncal
Ugarteche/Segui

Most of these are in Recoleta. . .should we try harder to find something in Palermo? How would you describe the basic difference in the two areas - trendiness of shops & restaurants?

Muchas gracias!
Aug 25th, 2007, 04:51 AM
emd

Try posting this on the "Fodors Lounge" board of the forum and put "Attn SCARLET" in the title of your post. Scarlett lives in Buenos Aires and posts more on that board.
Aug 25th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Hola!
First of all, I think you made a good choice I would stay in any of the ApartmentsBA apartments and be happy.

Las Heras/Azcuenaga- Anything near/on Las Heras is going to be a tiny bit noisier unless you are in the back/contrafrente apartment. If you are on the street, it will be noisier..Las Heras is non-stop busy , wide avenue with lots of buses etc.

Laprida/Pena-wonderful neighborhood..you can hear the birds singing, a school is nearby, no buses, I am just blocks from there, love it.

Las Heras/Junin - Too busy/noisy.

Azcuenaga/Pena - good

Austria/Juncal - I walk on Austria sometimes which is fine but not sure about the Juncal area..I stay closer to Austria and French

Liberator/Montevideo - Very good, even though Libertador is busy, Montevideo is quiet, high rent area.

Pueyrredon/Beruti - Pueyrredon can be a mess, noisy, ambulances, traffic..There is a very good coffee store on that block

Pacheco de Melo/Uriburu- Wonderful

Uriburu/Juncal- Not sure.

Ugarteche/Segui - Not sure.

I would stick in Recoleta but I am biased. Palermo is very nice, too.
Recoleta is the Upper Eastside of BA ( as in NYC) and Palermo is more the Upper Westside..
Recoleta has a lot of the Tourist attractions like the Belle Artes Museum, Recoleta Cemetery etc.
There is the feria on weekends and the cafes, Cinema and a lot of the good hotels .
Beautiful parks, streets and good walking areas, as well as cafes and good shopping.

Palermo has the Zoo, Botanical Gardens and nice streets, cafes, shops and residential areas as well as the big busy streets.

Hope this helps
Aug 25th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Question for the previous poster: since you say "I would stay in any of the ApartmentsBA apartments and be happy", I imagine you must have actually stayed in one them?

If so, would you be so kind as to give me the URL for the report of your experience?
Aug 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM

avrooster, are your referring to me?

Why must I have stayed at one of the apartments to say that I would stay in one?
I think those apartments are very nice and the company gets rave reviews .. and if I did not have the large dog with me, I would stay in one.
Sorry, no URL.
Aug 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
expertbue

I agree with all the comments by Scarlett. I can add that Ugarteche/Segui is a very nice location (Though this two streets donīt cross, it must be either Ugarteche or Segui). I lived in the area for more than 20 years. It is not Recoleta but Palermo, a very nice neighborhood as well, close to Botanical Garden, Zoo, Palermo Parks, Evitaīs Museum. Nice shops and restaurants around. Very good communication by bus everywhere. I would recommend this location.

Aug 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM
expertbue

Sorry, my mistake, Ugarteche and Segui yes do cross, I was thinking on another street. Very nice location indeed.

Aug 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Canadienne, I have just found out that ApartmentsBA is getting a great review from a couple of big Travel guides.. do let us know which apartment you decide on
Aug 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM

I'm voting Pacheco de Melo and Uriburu. A mere half block from the saltshaker homestead, so it's a spot that we fell for when we were looking for a home.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM

marking page
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM

I hope you enjoyed your trip.

For others considering neighborhoods, here's another vote for Recolta. Las Heras is noisy, but a few building back is a prime location. What you can't walk to you can take a taxi to.

For me, Palermo is too far out.
Jan 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

What a delayed reply!

We ended up going with Uriburu & Juncal, in Recoleta. We had a phenomenal time in BA, and I would easily pick Recoleta again. It felt more like a "neighbourhood" to us than Palermo did. Lovely watching families going about their days. . .

I wasn't as thrilled with Apartments BA. There were a few issues. . .the apartment wasn't clean when we were taken to it (REALLY not clean), so we had to go amuse ourselves for a few hours until they found a cleaning lady to come and take care of it. Not a huge deal, but we were a bit tired after the flight. Secondly, no internet connection throughout the stay. Finally, the maid service again did not come during the middle of the week, as was part of the package.

Did any of these detract from our enjoyment of BA? Nope! But I would investigate other options for accommodation on my next visit. . .