more zipline questions

Jan 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

more zipline questions

I'm going to Costa Rica in Feb. with my husband and our two teenagers (13 and 15). We will mostly be in Arenal and Monteverde. The kids are wild to do ziplines, but I'm terrified of heights and don't want to go myself. Husband is healthy but heavy, at 250 lbs. -- is this too heavy for ziplines? And if so, any suggestions for a zipline facility where there might be something for the husband and I to do while the kids are zipping?
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Zipline operators generally specify their weight restrictions on their websites. I'm looking into one for an upcoming trip to Puerto Vallarta, and the weight limit is 250. If I was at or a little above the weight limit for a zipline, I would find something else to do. Bottom line - check with the specific tour operators you're interested in.
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Mary,
Not sure about weight limits on the zip lines..When you are in Arenal go to Tabacon Hot Springs - you can sit and enjoy the springs or the pool and your kids can do the zip lines there - one of the most beautiful spots in CR. I am terrified of heights myself but went with my husband - it was worth being scared out of my mind- and I felt good that I was able to concour my fears - I would try it!
Jan 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I weight more than your husband and did Arenal Canopy Tour 2 weeks ago. I did find the steps up to the first platform a challange.

During the horseback ride back, I asked one of the guides if bigger people than I had done the tour, and he said "yes, MUCH bigger!"

More details of my experience are that bottom of this page: http://www.mightymac.org/costarica/08costarica11a.htm

They offer a tram for those that choose not to ride a horse.

I don't know about their size limits, but for a location with a zipline and many other options for you to do, you might try Selvatura Park near Monteverde.

Keith
Jan 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. Keith, I did read your trip report and since you said you don't see much from the ziplines anyway, I thought that was another reason not to try to conquer my fear! But it is good to know that my husband will be able to go on the ziplines if he wants to.