Search

best resort area in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best resort area in Mexico

What are everyones opinion on the best resort areas in Mexico for beaches and nightlife?
Will be traveling from L.A.
thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:56 PM

If money was no object, I'd fly 1st class from the west coast to Cancun and stay in a Grand ocean front suite at the JW Marriott! The beach is incredible! And, of course, there's plenty of nightlife in Cancun!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:44 PM

Rather than state an opinion for which people are crucified in this forum, I will state an inarguable fact: Cancun is Mexico's top tourist destination with more than two million visitors per year. The reason for that is the beaches and nightlife. That is not to say there are not other worthwhile places in Mexico to visit. And if you had set forth different criteria than beaches and nightlife I would have given a different answer.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:01 PM

Message: Just returned from my first trip to Cabo San Lucas last week. What I didn't care for was that many of the beaches are unswimmable due to deep drop-offs close to shore and strong undertows. I've been to Cancun many, many times, and prefer it over Cabo because the beaches are unbelievable, but I enjoyed myself there as much as I do in Cancun. Both places have a great night life. Mexico is a beautiful country with beautiful,friendly people, so anywhere you go there, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:58 AM

Your on the West coast why not stay on the West coast? LA to PV on Alaska Air!

PV gets my vote!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:47 AM

Cancun is fun for nightlife. Which can be about $20.00 us a night to get into the clubs. Some have specials nights and rates. But if you arrive a little later and make friends with the doormen and complain a little about the price you can get in for free or $5.00 us.
Do not stay at the Barcelo Club Las Perlas in Cancun. My friend and I got very ill from the black mold in the room and were hospitalized for days.
The Kristal in Cancun is really nice and by a lovely beach. Plus, it's really clean and mold free.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:38 PM

Hi mike b12

I have been almost everywhere in Mexico and Cancun is the jewel of Mexico, you are facing the Caribbean Sea and not the Pacific ocean.
I liked Acapulco and Ixtapa and PV and Mazatlan and Los Cabos etc, but Cancun gets my nod
Have fun
Percy
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Ya know, I just absolutely love all the resort areas, and every single one of 'em is unique in its own way, and I can fully understand why some folks prefer one over the other. Here are what *I THINK* are the "best" resort areas, based purely on your own interests.

* beaches - Cancun, hands down
* scuba diving - Cozumel
* nightlife - Acapulco
* golf - Los Cabos
* fishing - Los Cabos
* character - Puerto Vallarta
* spas & pampering - Cuernavaca
* old style charm - Oaxaca

As always, your mileage may vary. Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My favorite is Puerto Vallarta, but I admit, I just keep going back again & again so can't compare it to your other choices!

Beautiful setting on the Bay, authentic and charming, friendly local people, lots to do (or not), still reasonably priced, good restaurants, shopping, nightlife.

But the beaches and water are prettier on the Caribbean side, no argument there.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Hi

TioGringo is correct, all the resorts are nice.
I have not been to a bad place in Mexico in 20 years.
Because I say I give the nod to Cancun,certainly does not mean that I did not like Acapulco as much as Cancun.!!
Each place has something to offer.
Have a great time
percy
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:24 AM

I agree with Suze and Tio Gringo Cancun if you are looking for beaches and nite life howeverif you are looking for beaches and not too much excitement then try the areas away from Cancun like playa del carmen or tulum there are some great places like Royal Hideaway although nothing to compare with RitzCarlton Jw Marriott or Fiesta American Grand Coral Beach in Cancun. Good Luck
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM

how about Playa del carmen?? how do the beaches compare to Cancun?? resorts? Been to Cancun, love it! but looking for less touristy location, with great beach!!