Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Anniversary dinner in Rio de Janeiro - Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to Rio for our anniversary. Does anyone have recommendations for a nice, leisurely dinner? My husband is especially fond of seafood!

Thank you!

Chels
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Le Saint Honore,a french restaurant on the 37th floor of Meridien Hotel.It's closed on sundays.Enjoy and happy anniversary.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Le Saint Honore is a good suggestion , top of the Meridian with a million dollar view. Well for me, I prefer something a little more down to earth like sitting inside in Don Camillos on Ave. Atlantica and Rua Bolivar, the staff is friendly and professional, the food is great Italian style, great wine list and inside they have roaming minstrels stopping at tables playing Italian arias, its a fun place.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions and wishes. I will certainly explore these options.

Thanks again,
Chels
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:04 AM

There is also another fancy French restaurant in the Sofitel hotel, I don't remember the name but when you get there you might want to check it out as I always read about the award winning chef there.

Another top restaurant is Antiquarius in Leblon, Portuguese cuisine.

Satyricon in Ipanema, Italian fish speciality.

Esplanade Grill in Ipanema, steak.

Very small, not fancy, local place with the best fresh seafood, located behind the Meridian is a place called Shirley's.

Then of course you have the chuascarias both Mariu's and Porcao with my favorite being Porcao in Flamengo with another location in Ipanema.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Dondiega, I LOVED Porcao! I'm not sure that it's the kind of place for a nice, leisurely anniversary dinner, though. I would definitely go there again. Esplanade might be more the type for 'leisurely.'

For a nice seafood dinner, I liked Siri Mole, in Ipanema. The only drawback is, they allow smoking in the restaurant so that kind of dampened our dinner when we had a smoking couple next to us.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions! I now have choices for both our anniversary as well as for some of the other nights we will be in Rio.

Thank you again!

Chels
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Also for a snack, we discovered banana pizza (served at almost any pizza place). Bananas, cheese, cinnamon and sugar on a delicate crust. Delicious!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Well, even though the pizza is quite different in Rio especialy compared to NY style, I do appreciate the Pizza Margarehita but I have not brought myself to try the bannana pizza yet maybe someday.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Oh, we ate Rio pizza with gusto! I guess what I liked about the pizzas we ate was, the cariocas made their <i>own interpretation</i> of pizza instead of trying to imitate it. Somehow when people try to imitate a dish, it's not so good. But when you come up with something original....yum! Every pizza I ate there was great, linguica, banana, vegetarian.