Oaxaca Family trip Oaxaca and beach - 3 weeks - Need feedback

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I never have chance to travel with his schedule and suddenly we have rare opportunity for 3-4 weeks off. MY first inclination was Barcelona, south of France, but airfare to Europe is SO expensive (from San Francisco) and Mexico seems like a good alternative. All of this with our 4.5year old and almost 2 year old.

I want Cafe's, architecture, nice walks, intersting food, but fairly mellow pace to accomodate kids.

Current idea is a couple of weeks in Oaxaca - maybe take some spanish classes for a week, explore and then 1 week at beach (maybe also in Oaxaca.

We have been to San Miguel de allende and enjoyed it but are looking for something a bit more diverse. Also considered Costa Rica but it seems a little too adverterous for us given kids.

1) Given my first bias for Europe and desire for cafe's, architecture and good food - seems like Oaxaca would help meet some of those needs - thoughts?

2) Tips and ideas on where to stay with kids the board isn't full of many ideas for accomodations?

Thanks for any thoughts
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Have you thought of Puebla?

Low pace, great food, many cafe's. Day trips available and only 2.5 hrs from Oaxaca.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:03 PM

I think Oaxaca would be just the sort of place you have in mind. We LOVED it: charming walkable Centro Historico with a really nice zocalo, many delicious restaurants and cafes, absolutely beautiful museums in colonial buildings, surrounded by crafts villages with interesting markets and great handicraft shopping. Just the sort of nice colonial feeling you seem to be looking for, without the high prices and long flight to Europe.

Oaxaca is very easy-going and accomodating, and of course Mexicans all seem to adore children, which is one reason we favored Mexico as a vacation destination when ours were little, and we did in fact find a welcome for them wherever we went. If I was going with small children, I would consider the Hotel Victoria. The rooms may be a little dated, but the pool and gardens would make up for this given the kids, IMHO. On a hill overlooking town, but with shuttle service. Not a far distance, but not walkable because of the hills.

Can't comment on Oaxaca beach destinations, not a beach person.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:52 PM

sfmaster: check-out Marilyn' e-scrapbook at www.rgb3d.com/Oaxaca.
It is packed with just about all of the info that you may need (personal meal ratings, physical and web addresses, pricing, photos, phone numbers, contacts, etc.) It has all been more than helpful in planning our summer trip there (in fact, it greatly inspired us!). Based on your criteria, Oaxaca just may be exactly what you and your family had in mind.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Hi sfmaster, I also found Oaxaca a delightful destination. Everything they said about it is true and more. Besides there is a nice feeling of safety ( or at least it was like that when we went there a year ago) to the extend that it was safety to flag taxis in the
street. A luxury that you cannot afford let us say in Mexico City. People are extremely nice, we stayed in a lovely place called the Buganvillas, it is a beautiful b&b , rooms are very nice and most importantly for you they have an apartment ideal for a family . The good thing is that on the premises they have a very good, inexpensive, but excellent restaurant called La Olla. I loved it.