Reload this Page >

Great restaurant in Quebec City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:06 PM
martha

Flying into Quebec City on the last day of the Winter Carnival - and are staying at the Hotel Le Saint Paul - which apparently is very close to the old city. It is my husband's birthday the day we arrive, and I have two kids as well! Any restaurant ideas? We are self proclaimed foodies... and the kids are pretty good in restautants, so it can be on the nicer side of nice!!<BR>thx

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:50 PM
tammy

As you'll stay in the @LOWER TOWN@ you will b able to see that there are a lot of nice restaurants in this area!<BR>We suggest you the ARDOISE, it's a little french bistro where they also serve huge(and deliciiiiiious) breakfast a la francaise, or around the corner of saint paul, i don't remembr the street's name, LE MESCLUN, french restaurant with provence theme that is just great...(bouillabaisse, orange beef stew...)<BR>If you're looking for a break ther,s a creperie #CHES SOPHIE# where we had the best chocolate and fruit crepe ever...<BR>For something more foodie you can try L'INITIALE, once again french, I can't help it, but really gourmet.<BR>Enjoy your trip...

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:20 AM
David

Martha,<BR><BR>We were there this last September and had some really great meals. Below is a list of a few of our experiences:<BR><BR>Le Saint-Amour: Our first night out and one of our most memorable experiences. Le Saint-Amour is a beautiful little restaurant on Rue St.-Ursule in upper town. The chef is award-winning, the food is superb and the ambience is very romantic. We began our meal with a piece of melt-in-your-mouth goose foie gras and an escargot “stew” made with garlic cream, spinach and pinon nuts…unbelievably delicious! Our main courses consisted of broiled veal sweetbreads and an incredible rack of Charlevoix lamb. If I were to attempt to describe the desserts, I would only bring tears to your eyes! By the way, if you dine there be sure to make reservations a few days in advance and request the winter garden (it’s an indoor atrium in the back of the restaurant that is simply beautiful). Also, don’t forget to order something from their extensive (and reasonable) wine list.<BR><BR>Le Continental: I realize there has been some mixed press on Fodors concerning this restaurant; however, we thought it was excellent. If you like classic continental food (Duck l’Orange, Sole Meuniere, Chateaubriand, etc.) you will not be disappointed. Sure, there’s nothing new or innovative here, but the preparations are right on, the servers experienced and the ambience appropriately classy. Their foie gras de terrine and lobster bisque rivaled the best I’ve had and the tableside flambes are pulled off with flair and panache (kids love to watch flambes being made). Where else can you get crepes with fresh peaches made tableside?<BR><BR>Le Ardoise: This is a small locals place located in lower town around the corner from Mesclun. Quite casual and featuring a nightly prix-fixe menu with everything from confit of duck to foie de veau. Nice ambience, casual service, good food.<BR><BR>Le Echaude’: Very attractive French/Mediterranean Restaurant in lower town right down the street from Mesclun. The menu features everything from a wonderful steak tartare to bouillabaisse and the service is friendly and efficient. One of the few places we went to that had an actual “bar” where you could sit and just enjoy a cocktail if you liked.<BR><BR>Hope this list helps a bit!<BR><BR>Strive<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:48 PM
Debra

Martha: I recommend Au Parmesan at 38 Rue St Louis (this recommendation is made only after having dinner at several establishments, including Louis Hebert on Grand Allee and Le Marie Clarisse on Petit Champlain). Another I enjoyed was the Elysee Mandarin at 65 rue d'Auteuil.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:41 AM
x

Here's another vote for L'Initiale. Delicious, beautiful atmostphere, great service!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:21 PM
xxx

the &quot;clocher pencher&quot; (corner of st-joseph and carron) has really excellent french food without a stuffy atmosphere. i lived there for years and it remains a sort of undiscovered treasure.

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another vote for L'Initiale. Delicious food, really nice atmosphere, wonderful service!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are coming to the Frontenac May 1 to 4 to celebrate my birthday. Could somebody recommend a great dining experience for my birthday as well as some more casual eateries.