Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Advice on Resorts in the Mayan Riveria....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
kaycromie

I am planning a late Februay trip with my two older children to the Mayan Riveria...can anyone suggest a good all-inclusive resort to stay at...I have heard from different sources that some of the resorts limit you on how often you can eat at the some of their restaurants during your stay...ex: only one meal per stay....Any all-inclusive that I have stayed at before allows you to eat at any restaurant any number of times whether it be every night or only once or twice...Also looking for a beautiful beach...also don't want to be bothered by the vendors while on the resort property...good ocean views a must...

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:29 AM
Greenie

I've been to three resorts in Mayan Riveria: Iberostar Quetzal (tucan is the same resort just other side), Barcelo Maya Beach, and Bahia Principe. We liked the Iberostar the best. Best food, best beach, closest to PDC, nicest rooms.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:33 AM
Debbie

Further to Greenie's comments, the IBerostar's are great resorts as is the RIU hotels. Check out either of them if you want to be close to PDC. Most of these are buffet but have specialty restaurants where you're only allowed to eat at once or twice during your stay. The specialty restaurants are sit down a la carte style but the buffets you can go to every night. <BR>No beach vendors along Mayan Riveria. As for ocean view rooms, well, you might have to forego on this as most of the resorts are set back from the beach.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:47 AM
nina

Kay, I'm thinking of doing the same thing for February vacation with my 2, but so far have been unable to get prices for Feb. Can I ask if you've gotten any prices, and where you got them? I'm looking at the RIU's, Iberostar and the new Fiesta Grand, but can't find a rate on any of these to save my life!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:32 AM
dawn waldock

I'd recommend the Riu Hotels in the Playa Car area.<BR>THe Riu Yucatan is on the beach with the sister hotel (Riu Tequilla were I stayed)directly behind across a road.<BR>Both have excellent facilities, plenty of places to eat and drink(you can use either hotel)- plus an in-room mini bar and optics (included in the price and topped up daily!).<BR>The beach is lovely and we weren't bothered by vendors.