favorite resort in the Riviera Maya?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dropping in from the Europe board, but I'm hoping you all can help me. I'm planning a destination wedding in Mexico for next summer, and I'm set on the Riviera Maya area. However, there are so many resorts that its hard to pick one, so I'd appreciate input on which resorts and hotels in that area are your favorites, and why? I'm leaning towards all-inclusive, but I'm open to other options as well, so anything you like (or dislike) would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM

We just returned from that area and stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Beautiful property, but if you like good food - go elsewhere. The only really decent meals were in the restuarants at night.

You might also try tripadvisor.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm...I guess it's personal taste. We LOVED the breakfast at the Maya and enjoyed the beach grill for lunch.
Are you bringing children? If not, look into the Iberostar Paraiso Grand. Gourmet food, butler service, top notch !
Also look into the Royal Playa del Carmen.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM

Okay scherml, I have to know - where on earth did you eat breakfast at the Maya?
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM

It depends on what you are looking for.

I have stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort (a 3*). Rooms are nothing much but the resort is friendly and the beach is great. The location next to the town of Akumal is also a big plus.

I have also stayed twice at the Palladium (4*) - once in the Kantenah section and once in the White Sands section. The rooms are quite nice. Mini suites have nice large jeted tubs. The food is decent for an AI - lots to choose from. The beach is very nice (not quite as good as Akumal but close). The grounds are lovely and there are a number of pools.

Basically I would not hesitate to go back to either resort but they are quite different (Akumal Beach is small and intimate; Palladium large with many facilities).
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM

COpper, my brother and his wife raved about the Secrets Capri in the Riviera Maya. Tripadvisor reviews are the same. Many go there for a destination wedding/honeymoon. One poster mentioned a lesser priced hotel next door that some guests opted for.

I spoke to others in our van ride to the airport and on the plane - it seems that the huge AI resorts have a hard time managing really good food. As semireamis advised, it depends what you are looking for. Do you want a mega-resort? Something smaller and more intimate? Is food quality important?
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had good breakfast at the buffet that becomes the Italian restaurant in the PM. Technically it's at the Lindo, but is one of the restaurants available to guests of the Maya.
The breakfast buffets were also good at the main buffets at the Del Mar and the Beach.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM

Cieba del Mar in Puerto Morelos did a beautiful job with weddings while we were there. It's a lovely resort.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I'm looking for a resort that offers a bit to do without being huge. Fairly good food is a major plus, but I know thats hard to get with AI. We only have one person under the age of 18 that would be going, but that means that it must be kid-friendly, so any recommendations on that way are much appreciated! Any more suggestions?
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM

The Azul Sensatori looks like what you are looking for. The food is suppose to be top notch and the service is great. It getting ready to open and my travel agent has taken a tour of it and said it looks great. The food is suppose to be gourmet food.

http://www.karismahotels.com/azulsensatori/index.html
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM

We did not find the food at Karisma to live up to their "gourmet inclusive" hype. And the wine is limited to one choice of white or red, house only, and is pretty bad.

We stayed at El Dorado Royale and based on that experience would not be interested in their other resorts.