Accomodations in Buenos Aires and Iquazu Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip in mid May to Argentina and are trying to decide upon accomodations. We have narrowed choices in Buenos Aires to Argenta Hotel and Malabia House. We are looking for a very quiet and safe neighborhood that is convenient. Our family includes myself, husband and 19 yr old daughter. We also are planning to go to Iquaza Falls, want to stay on Argentinian side. Thought about the Cataratas Hotel (the one on Arg. side) or the Esturion. Any thoughts on these various accomodations. Thanks so much.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Argenta Towers and Malabia House are in different parts of town. Too, the hotels are very different.

Malabia House is a very nice B & B in Palermo Viejo, an area that is in the process of being revitalized. (Someone posted that they will be closed for renovations, so check your dates).

The Argenta is on Juncal in Retiro, an upscale part of the downtown area. Very nice modern hotel.

Both hotels are considered excellent choices. I have stayed in the Argenta, but not in Malabia...but I have been by it and it appears quite nice.

In Iguazu, consider a splurge to stay at the Sheraton, the only hotel with a view of the falls and located within the park. The location permits you to take your own self guided tours and to enjoy frequent trips back to the hotel for a beverage break or a nap between circuts. Beautiful panoramic views from the rooms.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 08:41 AM

I also recommend the Sheraton. Check out their location:

http://www.hotels-search-engine.org/hotel/10213057

The view from the rooms is awesome. Since the hotel is in the national park, you are able to get on the trails before the official opening in the morning and you can have the place to yourself for an hour or so. That, alone is worth the price of staying there but the hotel itself is excellent with a very good restaurant.

However, it doesn't seem to have gotten any cheaper since I stayed there a few years ago before the currency devaluation.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Hi, I am leaving tomorrow for Buenos Aires, and as usual shall stay at the Argenta Towers which is a very plesant hotel and as usual I will make the reservation through wow.argentina because through them I get a very good rate.
Once more I agree 100% with drdawggy and with driftwood. When we stayed in the Sheraton Iguazu we chose the rooms facing opposite of the falls because we did not want to spend 40% more, but of course they have awesome view. ( I had a look while the maid was doing one of them)The good thing is that all the public rooms in the hotel have a fantastic view of the falls. Also there is a terrace open to the public ideal for great pictures.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Agree with the others that the Argenta is a fabulous hotel. Reserved through the wonderful Cintia at wowargentina and were very pleased. Cintia is great for help with all reservations. We stayed one night at the Esturion in Iguazu and found the hotel to be very nice. The breakfast was lovely and it has a great pool (complete with peacock wandering around which was a great delight to the kids) But we stayed there only one night because the Sheraton was booked, we then moved to the Sheraton for our remaining two nights and it was FABULOUS to be able to get up and walk right out to the trails overlooking the falls. Well worth the splurge. Particularly after we took the boat ride that went into the falls and were soaking wet, it was nice to be able to go straight back to our room.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:40 AM

I was just in B.A. in December. After searching for hotels and not having much luck I ended up typing "apartments for rent in Buenos Aires" in google and was amazed at what I found. The value was so much better. We ended up getting the entire 8th floor of a building approx. 2000 sq ft. with 4 bdr 3 bth for $130 a night. It was located in Recoleta which was a very nice neighborhood. There was a lot to do there and it was very safe. Good luck and enjoy your trip. You will love it.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Stayed at the Sheraton Libertador (BA), usual Sheraton standard in central location, would like to stay next time at the Alvear Palace. The Sheraton Iguazu is definitely the place to stay, doesn't matter if your room is not facing the falls. The San Juan Cataratas is on the Brazilian side and is also a good option.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:52 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Cataratas (Argentina side). It is nice and comfortable. The food was good.

We had made reservations months in advance but when we arrived there after being in the air or in airports for 36 hours we found that they had given our room away. They put us up in a nice hotel for one night but we needed to arise early and move back to the Cataratas. They did give us a cab to take us to and fro the Falls.
It is a bit of a hassle moveing between Brazil and Agentina so take that into consideration when selecting a hotel or the airport into which you will arrive.
The Falls are great and aside from the above problem, the hotel was very nice as were the staff.
Gene
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 02:17 AM

RE: where to stay. The last two posters are right, getting out of the tourist zones has advantages.

But the best location varies from person to person and depends on several factors. For a first time visitor who does not speak Spanish and will be in BsAs for a short period of time, Retiro, Recoleta or Puerto Madero are probably better choices than one of the residential areas.

But, if a person speaks Spanish, plans an extended stay and wants a true immersion experience, moving out of these zones and into other Barrios can be a great experience.

Palermo is a nice close-in choice, mostly residential with some tourists and good transportation. Belgrano has some nice neighborhoods and ease of transportation makes this a good choice. Even fewer tourists in Belgrano, but some.

Try Palermo viejo for a more Soho kind of experience or Las Canitas in Belgrano for a trendy neighborhood feel...or the area around the Universidad de Belgrano or Palermo Chico for a stay in a more sophisticated environment.

Colegiales and zonas such as Cabalito are relatively safe and provide for a true immersion experience for the more adventerous. Not many, if any, tourists make it to these areas.

There are other barrios in the Capital Federal and areas in la provincia of Buenos Aires that are downright dangerous and I would not stay in, immersion experience or not!

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 02:28 AM
maletas

I checked out Malabia and though it was nice enough, it didnt seem really worth the money, especially in Buenos Aires. Its pleasant but I was surprised that there was little common areas in the house. Argenta might be your best bet. I stayed at the Cristoforo in Palermo. It wasn't luxury but it was clean, adequate and the staff was very nice. I loved the area and the price for the week was phenomenal. Good luck

Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:52 AM

Cristoforo is in a great area in Palermo. I am unimpressed with the rooms, which are kind of 70'ish...but if the price is right, this could be a good option.
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:07 AM

I appreciate Rusalka 'taste the Alvear Hotel is one of the best hotels in Buenos Aires if not the best. Also very expensive.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:27 AM

whirldwid: I'm going to Buenos Aires, wish to stay in Recoleta mostly because is me, my mom, two sisters and my 10 year child. I read that whirldwid rented and apt if I do recall well of 4 bedrooms, three bathrooms. can you let me know what apt it was and how to contact them?
if not what do you think about this places I don't know what to choose for etiole hotel
parkplaza kepinski
chateu kepinski
Suipacha y Arroyo Suites from this suipacha I got a very tempting rate...please help
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM

LORENAB
there are certainly good opportunities for flats especially for the big ones which are a bit more difficult to rent.
Be patient and you will always get a good deal. Yesterday i got one for a big family from Russia: 3 bedrooms and terrace balcony(22 m2) 2 bathroom and a good location for 650 doll. not bad. but it took time to be found on the web.

There are good prices for big departments in hotels which are big enough for your family and they are around 120 dollars.

Cross your fingers and keep on searching.