Search

Buenos Aires and the falls

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Buenos Aires and the falls

Can't remember the name of the falls, sorry, and I really hate doing last minute trips, but we've never been to Buenos Aires and was thinking of taking a last minute trip there and to the falls, if possible and not too expensive, from L.A.

Questions -- where should we stay in Buenos Aires that would allow us to walk a lot in relative safety/comfort. I know, I live in L.A. and there's probably nothing scarier than that to a lot of people (!), but at least I know the places where I am in a comfort zone walking at night, and where I know I need to drive or take a taxi. Any hotel suggestions? Any places where there's a relatively interesting mix of people, maybe a youngish university crowd? Is the weather at the end of July going to be cool or rainy?

I know, I should get a guide book and properly plan this, but I'm running out of time here, and my husband just cleared some time, albeit last minute.

I assume we need to fly to the falls, but are there other alternatives, and is it advisable to spend the night and see it in two days? And do we need a visa in addition to our passports?

Finally, I speak what I'd call "waitress Spanish", although our son is fairly fluent. Will that be sufficient?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi surfergirl! The falls are called Iguazu. There are a lot of threads on the falls on this forum... here are some of them:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35019384
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35018731
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35011718

Re Bs. Aires I would stay in Microcentro (microcenter), it's safe at night to take a walk. Last time I went I stayed at Dolmen Hotel... there are many good hotel... check NH Hotels also.
www.english.buenosaires.com

Taxis are very cheap so you won't find difficult to move from one place to another.

Good district to visit are Palermo, La Recoleta and one of my favorites San Telmo (on Sundays there is an antique market and you can also enjoy a good meal, music and tango shows right on the street. this is a bohemian quarter.

The weather on July it's cold: min. 40F max 65F and it may rain.

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:45 PM

The neighborhoods where most tourists stay--Recoleta, Palermo Soho or downtown Recoleta is the most upscale neighborhood and Palermo Soho the most interesting and trendiest area. Due to the character of the area and zoning requirements the hotels in Palermo are smaller boutiques such as the Hotel Bobo and the Home Hotel. Recoleta has larger and more upscale five star hotels such as the Four Seasons & Grand Hyatt. Not far from Recoleta and near downtown the Sofitel is a very nice hotel.

Iguazu Falls is a couple of hours by plane. It is possible to see the falls in a day and night but it is better to spend two nights.

Hope this helps....
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM

hiya, Iguazu falls, amazing ! They are on border of Brasil and Argetina. Should be seeen from both sides if possible. you can stay in park, on argentine side in sheraton hotel, right in front of falls, or on Brasilian side, in tropical das cataratas. If want cheaper but more complicated option as outside of national parks can stay nearer the town,.You will need a visa to enter Brasil. Argentine side gives closer up view of falls, lots of walks to do, and on Brasilian side more of an overview. Stunning. You need at least a day and a half. A boat trip can be done right up to falls, from either side. Try and get room facing the falls. Both hotels good but not cheap.
In BA depends on how much you want to spend, recoleta nice area, palermo has a lovely park where all go at weekends, a botanical garden, rose garden, lake etc. Recoleta has a great market at weekends, San Telmo is antiques and entertainment, tango etc, very bohemian,on sundays. Good restaurants in Recoleta area, Palermo, and its lovely down on dock sides too. Try take a boat trip down tigre. Lots of beautiful arquitecture in BA, easy to walk around various parts, taxis cheap, and good metro, and easy.
It will be cold, especially with the wind ! Take a good coat. Can get to freezing. Great city, good nightlife which starts late and ends late morning!Have fun. Any more help just ask
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
mjs

How much time do you have? Budget for hotels? Budget for trip?
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Sounds like you will be at least 3 (two adults and an older child). Reommend Art Suites in Recoleta. You can get a one or two bedroom apartment at a most reasonable price, and, IMO, Recoleta is the place to stay. Extremely safe, well located, walkable and full of restaurants.
As for Iguazu, one night should be just fine if you leave BA in the morning. You will not nfeed a Visa unless you go to the Brazil side.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Looks like surfergirl has already gone...
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

No I haven't gone . . . been busy and came back to this wealth of info -- thanks to everyone!

Budget . . . uh, good question, our usual thing is to spend about US$200 night for hotel room, we're more of a 3 star than 5 star kind of family, not because we don't like luxury, but we like to pound the pavement and use the hotel to sleep. So, so these hotels (boutique, small or otherwise) fit into that budget at all?

We also like to stay up late and hang out (just like every other invincible baby boomer) and listen to live music and see stuff. Someone mentioned Bohemian quarter -- sounds like us! For example, we like the Latin Quarter/San Michel nightlife in Paris -- not techno dance clubs, rather rock/hip jazz/blues clubs, that sort of thing.

Are the falls area really frigid in late July/August? They sound so amazing. Coming from L.A., the mention of 40 degrees and a jacket in Buenos Aires is cold to us -- but that's fine, we like things different, otherwise why go somewhere else? I guess what I mean is, when I say "frigid" that word means something different to me (anything under 70) than it might to someone who lives in Minnesota!

Should we book a flight while in B.A. or from here?

Time -- about 8 to 10 days in all.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
mjs

We just returned from Argentina so I can offer a few thoughts. Cost of your flights to/from Buenos Aires will be your biggest cost as I believe your tickets will be over $1000 each. My best guess would be $1200.
Lots of Hotels in the Recoleta, Palermo or Microcentro that could fit your bill. Remember there is a 21% Vat to your hotel cost so you would want to keep your hotel to around $150/night for three. Sounds like the Palermo might suit you best so I would look into the boutique hotels such as Home, Bobo, Five, 155 Malabia House etc. These are small hotels so finding a room may not be as easy as you might think. Could also consider some aparthotels such as Ayres. Food costs are cheap as are taxi's. Weather can be sunny or rainy with temps 40 to 60 which is sorta like an LA winter.
Iguazu is certainly worth it as a side trip from BA.
Aifare should be below $300 RT per person.
Strongly consider booking this through a BA tour agent as internal airlines are unreliable. We used Isabel at Buenosaires-tours.com.ar and could not recommend her more highly. The Sheraton at Iguazu is a ok hotel in a perfect place to visit the falls. Room cost with Vat should be less than $300.(we used points) Best to stay two nights but you could do it with one night if you left BA on the first flight of the morning and returned the next day on the last flight. This assumes of course that the flights are on time and flying. July is high season of sorts in Argentina due to school holidays. Weather in Iguazu was not bad with highs in the low 80's in mid june with lows I think in the 50's.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Isabel is an independent travel agent who provides personalized service and has been quite helpful in this forum. I suggested to mjs the use of her services.

Her e-mail is:

[email protected]

and her website is:

www.buenosaires-tours.com.ar

The link providad by mjs doesn't work.

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM

mjs: can we expect a full trip report from you?

Not just this brief comment, I mean. LOL!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:36 AM

You can arrange your trip to Iguazú Falls (including both sets of airport-hotel transfers) and hotel reservations through Cintia Stalla at WOW! Argentina <http://www.wowargentina.com.ar/>. She is very professional and her English is excellent. I recommend that you set this up (by e-mail) before you leave home.

We arranged out trip in April through her and were glad we had someone to assist us when our flight back to BA was delayed by 3 hours. I simply called her on her 24/7 emergency phone number and she took care of everything that we were worried about (notifications to BA hotel and BA airport transfer driver). In fact, she said that she was aware of the flight delay even before we called and was just monitoring the situation. This kind of customer service spared us a lot of heartburn and meant a lot to us.

Two nights is best and the Sheraton is so convenient. You may want to think twice before getting a falls view room. It is about 30% more but you are hardly in your room long enough to enjoy it fully. Besides, the restaurant downstairs has an excellent view and it is free.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Sheraton sounds good. I've been googling the boutique hotels mentioned and they are all appealing. Wondering if I'm going to have to get 2 rooms or if they can accommodate putting in an extra bed. Anyone have to deal with this before?

I ask this question because when we were in Amsterdam, they have strict laws about how many people they allow in one room (for fire regulations, I was told), so we had to book two adjacent rooms.

The Latin America forum, by the way, at least re: these responses, has been absolutely wonderful -- thank you!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I'm not a Sheraton stockholder, but consider the convenience (time and transportation costs via bus or taxi) of staying IN the national park vs. being 11-12 miles away in Puerto Iguazú. Yes, the Sheraton is expensive but it's right there. No other hotel can make this claim.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM

We went to Buenos Aires and Iguazu at exactly this time last year. It was very warm, if not hot, at the falls and we wore shorts and sleeveless tops during the days. Also, it was not particularly cold in Buenos Aires. We didn't need jackets during the day. Not to say that it will be like that this year--they were having a warm spell--but be aware that there are definitely temperature variations possible. We stayed at the Sheraton Buenos Aires and just got plane tickets to Iguazu from the travel agency at the hotel. We flew on Aerolineas Argentinas and had no problem whatsoever. Also, DO NOT take any expensive or expensive-looking jewelry to Argentina. I had my watch stolen off my arm in broad daylight in Palermo. Another friend had a watch stolen off her arm right in front of the Four Seasons. Don't do anything to tempt the thieves.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
mjs

I know that AvRooster will be after me if I do not write some sort of trip report so I want to let you know that I have posted the first part. Hopefully I can finish it sometime soon but you need to know that I have just caught up with all the work caused by my vacation.
Rooster did you pick up Angie's disk at the Sofitel?
Did your dogs eat well after our dinner?
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Yes to both questions, mjs.

The Sofitel almost asked for my fingerprints, before giving me Angie's disk. I guess I must look like a crook. LOL!!!

Also read the first (of several?) chapter of your trip report. Thank you.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Surfergirl watch out the weather on Bs. Aires... today it was snowing!!!

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/07...m-01453873.htm
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM

/amazing....it has not snowed in Buenos Aires since 1918
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, that photo of the snow was absolutely amazing, as well as the comment made about not doing so since 1918! Here, in L.A., it hasn't snowed since before I was born. My son applied to UC Berkeley last fall and asked me what his chances were. I said about as much of a chance as snow in L.A. Well, guess what? In February, it snowed in L.A. (I have photos to prove it!!) and he got into Berkeley. So there you go.

Speaking of expensive jewelry (have none, unless you call a Swiss Army watch expensive), but is it a problem using the atms in B.A.? And thanks for the jewelry tip -- I was pickpocketed in Rome once, but would rather have that happen than anything violent, you know.