Search

3 days in Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:44 PM
terrie

3 days in Mexico City

I'm staying in Mexico City for 3 days in mid-February. Would appreciate any input on the following hotels: Galeria Plaza, Sheraton Maria Isabel, Marriott JW, Intercontinental Presidente. Looking for a hotel that has a convenient location, pleasant neighborhood. Is it better to stay in the Zona Rosa or the Polanco area? Also, what are the recommended must-see highlights of the city for 3 days? We like colonial history/architecture, markets, ruins, crafts. Thanks for your advice!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:19 AM
John K

Hi Terrie,<BR>The Marriott and the Presidente Intercontinental are both very nice hotels in very good locations (I haven't stayed at the others so cannot comment.) Polanco is much more upscale than Zona Rosa but they are both good areas to stay in. Get a good guide book as there are lots of &quot;must sees&quot; in and around Mexico City. A half day trip to Teotihuacan right outside the city is a definite must that you should not miss if you are interested in pyramids and ruins.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:38 AM
Jean Valjean

I would much rather stay in Polanco than in Zona Rosa.<BR><BR>Both the JW Marriott and the Intercontinental are great hotels, in a very pleasant neighborhood. Another options in the area are the Nikko (next to the JW), the Camino Real, and the Habita.<BR><BR>In three days, you have time to go see the pyramids in Teotihuacan (get a guide), to spend a few hours in the Anthropology museum, go to Chapultepec castle, to the Centro Cultural Arte Contemporaneo (modern art). <BR><BR>You also have time to go downtown, to the Zocalo, the cathedral and the templo mayor (ruins behind the cathedral).<BR>If you are there on a saturday, go to San Angel. They have a great market there on saturdays.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:21 AM
marilyn

The Maria Isabella Sheraton is very well-located for museums, restaurants, etc., and has my favorite place for a few drinks and some music in the evening, the Jorongo Bar. I understand you can get both it and the JW Marriott through priceline.<BR><BR>If you are at all interested in Frida Kahlo-Diego Rivera, don't miss: the Frida Kahlo Museum and the nearby Trotsky Museum, both in the San Angel area and in their former homes. Also interesting is the Dolores Olmeda Museum, in her lovely home with gardens in the Xochimilco area--she ws the executor of their estates and the museum shows a large collection of their works. Also be sure to go to the Diego Rivera Museum near the Alameda, ie, the Mural Museum, which houses his famous Sunday in the Park mural.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:45 PM
terrie

Thanks for answering my questions everyone. Each of you were very helpful with your advice. Looking forward to exploring Mexico City!

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got back... I would definitely stay at the Marriott again.<BR><BR>it was lovely! first-rate. I was treated like a princess. the people are very warm and friendly.<BR><BR>The rooms are spacious - king size beds, chaise lounge, table, big armoire, big closets, HUGE bathroom.. there is a full spa on the 7th floor (and nice fluffy white bathrobes so you can tiptoe down and soak as long as you wish...)<BR><BR>I liked the Polanco area. Many nice shops and restaurants. The homes are beautiful. The Intercontinental was also nearby.<BR><BR>there is a Hard Rock nearby - not sure if you happen to collect paraphernalia from there or not.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely stay at the JW or the Presidente Intercontinental...Polanco is a really nice area and there are tons of restaurants within walking distance. The JW and PI are actually right next to eachother...very secure area with lots to do.