things to do and see in Mexico City

Aug 18th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

things to do and see in Mexico City

Hello to all

I will have a few days free time in Mexico City. what should I do to make the most of my time? I'd love to see some nice architecture, hear some good local music. I am staying in the Marriott. (not sure the name, it isn't far from the Hard Rock and I know it's a good part of town - nice homes nearby etc.)

also, where is the good shopping? I don't mean clothing per se - I mean local crafts, flea markets, outdoor shopping, local music, you name it. I am a pottery freak and always try to take home something hand made wherever I go. I don't want to go to a mall, I want outdoor shopping.

last but not least - any good guide book ideas? I only have one month to prep & it's only a few extra days.

Aug 18th, 2003, 12:12 PM

There's so much to do it would be impossible to list it. I would include the Zocalo (Metropolitan Cathedral, Diego Rivera murals in the National Palace, Templo Mayor). The anthropology museum, a trip out to Teotihucan, etc., etc., a good guide book will be quite helpful to sort out the things you would like to see and do. I like Fodors and Lonley Planet. They are geared to different types of travelers so you will get a wide perspective on things to see and do. have fun.
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:28 PM

It is a JW Marriott. Great location! Try going next door to the Intercontinental, it has several great restaurants. The area where you'll be (Polanco) is very nice, upscale, with great shopping and restaurants. Villa Maria (on Homero) is one of my favorite Mexican food restaurants in the city.

For local things, try going to the "Bazar del Sabado" in San Angel (to the south, near Coyoacan) on saturdays. It is an artist's market on a beautiful square with a lot of handcraft and antique shops all around.
Aug 18th, 2003, 03:27 PM

I haven't been in Mexico City on a Saturday so haven't made it to the Bazar Sabado, but I hear it's good. The market that we visited a year or so ago was La Ciudadela. I thought it was pretty good and prices seemed fair. I couldn't quite remember the name of the market, so did a Google and found this site on markets - http://www.nytimes.com/top/features/...g_markets.html

Mexico City is a terrific destination.
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:54 AM

If you are free on Saturday, you should definitely do the Bazaar Sabado--they have really high-quality crafts from around the country that you may not see in any of the other markets, plus the outdoor art fair. The San Angel Inn is a good choice for a meal in that area. Also visit the government's Fonart stores for higher qualty craft items.

Frida fans have a lot to see in Mexico City. I would recommend visiting her house, the nearby Trotsky museum and perhaps the Dolores Olmeda Museum (in her mansion, she was executor of Frida and Diego's estates). The Murals Museum, about midway between the Zocalo and the Zona Rosa, has the famous "Sunday in the Park" mural of Diego Rivera. You could spend days just in the area of the Zocalo!
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:12 AM

For sightseeing, I'd do the archaelogy museum first, Teotihuacan if I had a whole day free, otherwise some of the arts museums around Chapultepec (close enough to walk from the Marriott).

A couple years ago I wrote an article about shopping in Mexico City. If you want to take a look, it's at:
http://www.epinions.com/trvl-review-...39E79D4D-prod4

Have fun! (I'm sure you will...)
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:46 AM

You've gotten some good suggestions above. I also recommend la ciudadela for crafts. The little restaraunt toward the back is nice too! fonart is great for higher end crafts. both of these spots are fairly close to each other, although I understand there are several Fonarts.
I really preferred Frommers guide book to Mexico City. All the dining suggestions were right on the mark.
La Fonda del Recuerdo (in the Polanco area) was a lot of fun and had great food for lunch and dinner. It had strolling bands, and if you're lucky all the tables around you will hire them and you can listen for free! Many tables had big groups of people and they'd hire the musicians for a half hour or so. The servings are huge and very tasty. Get here early.