Reload this Page >

Things to do at Mexico City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:10 AM
nancy

I am going to Mexico City during the memorial weekend. I am staying at Krystal Hotel in the Zona Rosa. I would to get suggestions on what I must see and do during my stay at Mexico City.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:14 AM
marilyn

Saturday is the Bazaar Sabado, in the San Angel area: sort of an outdoor art fair with high quality goods, as well as some permanent shops opening to a courtyard. Lunch at one of the restaurant's right in the area, or book the San Angel Inn, it will be marvelous. Museums in the Chapultepac Park area, including the Anthropology one and the History one. The Diego Riviera Museum. The Frieda Kahlo Museum as well as Trotsky's house, nearby. Of course the Zocalo, with the National Palace and the Cathedral. The Ballet Folklorico is worth it if you have time. Lots more if time allows! Enjoy your visit, and just be sure to take licensed cabs, and be alert on the street and subways.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:12 AM
nancy

Thanks

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:22 AM
John K

Hi Nancy,<BR>I second everything that Marilyn mentioned and add one more thing. The pyramids of Teotihuacan about an hour outside of Mexico City are amazing and a definite must see. You can do it in a half day and there will be an organized tour from your hotel. Have fun.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Susan

We were in Mexico City in March. It wasn't our first trip (we had spent a couple of days there a few years ago), but I found that our 4 days this time were definitely not long enough. There's so much to do there. We stayed near the zocalo. One morning we took a taxi to the Frida Kahlo museum in Coyoacan. That afternoon, we checked out 2 places near our hotel. One was Museo Jose Luis Cueva (modern art including an 8 ton statue of a woman in the courtyard), the other was a public building (Ministry of Public Education, I believe). All 3 stories surrounding the courtyard were covered with Diego Rivera murals. Quite incredible. Another day we went to the pyramids. We took a taxi to Terminal del Norte and took the bus from there. If you do go, I recommend wearing a hat - there is very little shade. Quite impressive site and we were glad that we saw them. Another day we went to the Anthropological Museum - again a good place to visit. Both the pyramids and museum seem popular for school trips - lots of children visiting. (Several of them tried to practice their English with me, so that was fun.) Another day we shopped. <BR><BR>We had been to see the Cathedral at the zocalo before, also Bellas Artes and some of the other sites. As I said, there's so much to see and do there.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:46 AM
KD

Nancy, how exciting! I, too, will be visiting MC for the first time over the Mem holiday. I will be staying with locals that I know. However, I plan to visit many of the sites mentioned in the previous posts --- Pyramids, Aztec ruins, Polanco district, Bosque de Chapultepec, Bazar Sabado, and hopefully check out the fantastic San Angel Inn for dinner under the stars! Look for me there! Enjoy.....