cancun to chichen itza

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Brenda

cancun to chichen itza

1. What airline flies from Cancun to Chichen Itza, if any- I have tried Aeromexico, Mexicana, Aerocaribe
2. Is it worth flying or is bus tour ok?
3. Is it a good idea to overnight in Chichen Itza in order to have time to see everything?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Been There

I'm not aware of being able to fly there, but I could be wrong. We went 7 years ago on an all-day bus (air-conditioned coach type) tour and it took around 2 1/2-3 hours to get there. I think at that time it was $50US/person. We arrived around 11AM and probably spent 3-4 hours there, which was more than enough for us. I'd always wanted to see it, but I'm not an archeologist. Be aware if you take a video camera in, they will charge you a small fee and give you a receipt which you must hold onto to show, or they'll charge you again. This applies to video cameras only. Someone that's been there more recently can advise if that's changed. We had a tour guide leading our group, who told us the history, but I didn't listen to a lot because I was running around taking pictures. I climbed the pyramid and we did a little shopping with the vendors set up on the grounds.

This was in July and I've never ever been so hot in my life and we live in TX where 100+ summer temps are normal. It was excruciatingly hot; we took a small insulated cooler with bottled water, although there were kids running all over the grounds selling water, sodas and paletas (frozen fruit ice cream). Our tour included a buffet lunch at the small hotel on the grounds, then it was back on the bus and back to Cancun.

I would first not recommend going in the summer; if you do, arrange to get there as early in the day as possible and beat a little heat and some of the busloads of people. If you're really into checking out every detail of the ruins, you may want to check into spending the night locally. I'm glad I got to see it; it was a very long and hot day, but for us, it was a one-time thing. Hope this helps.

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Nancy

Hello,
You can fly, and I'd definitely recommend it. Your hotel can give you the name of the tour company and arrange everything. I think we went with Aviomar. It was $125 pp for the whole thing. This was about six or seven years ago.(Flight, tour, guide, etc.)
I believe we went from Cozumel, but I know they do it from Cancun also, because I've recently seen the groups of people leaving from the Cancun airport with their stickers on.
You don't need to overnight unless you are really ruin freaks. If you fly in and out you will have time to see everything at a leisurely pace. It's also pretty cool to see El Castillo from the air as you come in.
It is - as the other poster pointed out - very hot. (We went in April or May.) Drink lots of water, and sometimes it's a little buggy too, but definitely worth the trip!

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Jean Valjean

Maybe flying was a good alternative before they opened the new highway. Its less than 200 kms.

I would think that none of the "big" airlines have scheduled trips from Cancun to Chichen Itza. You may try calling a travel agency in Cancun.

If you leave early in the morning (after breakfast), and arrive there before 11:00, you'll have more than enough time to see the site in one day. Be sure to get a tour guide. It makes quite a difference! The site by itself is amazing, but getting explanations makes it even better. We had a 3 hour tour for 5, and we paid around US 40, with tips.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Patty

The planes used for Chichen Itza day tours are all small aircraft. You will not find any of the major airlines offering flights from Cancun. I've never done the flight tour so I don't know if it's worth doing over the bus. We did the bus tour and had about 3 hours on site which depending on your interest level may or may not be enough time.