Frida Kahlo exhibit in Mexico City?

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frida Kahlo exhibit in Mexico City?

Has anyone been to this exhibit in Mexico City this summer? I'm going to be in San Miguel de Allende next week and wondered if it would be worth the 4-5 hour trip by bus to the city to see it. I'm hoping some of my traveling companions would like to see it as well because I won't go alone!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM

We saw it earlier this month. I guess the answer would depend on how big a Frieda fan you are. There are 300+ works in this once-in-a-lifetime commemorative, and we certainly saw some we had never seen before, but I don't think I would make the trip solely to see this exhibit. In the upcoming months, smaller (60+) exhibits will be seen in Minneapolis, Philadelphia and San Francisco.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. How can I find out more on where the smaller Frida Kahlo exhibits will be in the U.S.?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM

According to the brochure we got at the Mexico City exhibit: October 27 to January 20, at the Walker Art center in Minneapolis; February 19 to May 18, 2008, at the Philadelphia Art Museum; and June 14 to September 16, 2008 at the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 07:46 AM
emd

I just got back from a trip to see the current exhibits at the Palacio de Belles Artes and at the Casa Azul. At the Casa Azul (Frida Kahlo Museum) in Coyoacan (where Frida was born, lived, and died, and where she and Diego lived) there is a WONDERFUL exhibit "Treasures of the Blue House." It extends throughout the house and consists of the items that were found in the trunks and armoire that were finally opened recently. These items were locked away in trunks/armoire, covered in tape and stashed behind a wall in an unused bathroom at the Casa Azul.

Diego asked that these personal effects not be exhibited until 15 yrs after his death. He told his patron, Dolores Olmedo Patino, that she could open these items 15 yrs after his death, but Olmeda did not do so. After Olmeda died in 2004, her son opened them and found these items. Lots of great photos, drawings, photos taken by Frida's father, letters, personal items, and lavish indigenous costumes clothing that Frida used as her own clothing and also as props for her paintings.

http://nyblade.com/2007/7-6/arts/thearts/

I enjoyed that that as much as the exhibit at the Palacio del Belles Artes. Coyoacan is easy to get to from Mexico City. From Mexico City's Centro Historico (where the Palacio De Belles Artes is) it took us about 20 min on the metro and one short bus ride to get to the Casa Azul. You can easily go to both places in the same day. We went to the Palacio Belles Artes in the morning at 10 am when they opened and were done there by 1 p.m. We went to Casa Azul the next afternoon, but both could have been done in one day. Coyoacan is a very nice town, great market and plaza area, esp. on Saturdays.