Search

2 Wild and Crazy Sisters

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Wild and Crazy Sisters

O.k., we're not so wild and crazy but we are sisters. My 50 something sister and I (40 something) are taking a short trip in January. We're looking for someplace hot, on the ocean and not too far from the airport because we're only there for 5 days.

We're considering Mexico or San Juan and would love if in addition to the above, we could find a destination that had very blue water and an interesting history.

Also, my sister has never been out of the country and I think would be a little skittish someplace too exotic.

Thanks in advance Fodorites.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Acapulco pretty bettter than San Juan
little more cultural interesting than
Cancun still great beach.

Acapulco - Luxury and Boutique HotelsThe bestluxury and boutique inns
http://www.mexicoboutiquehotels.com/...acapulco.shtml
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Puerto Vallarta Mexico (have been there ~20 times myself). It fits exactly what you describe. It's a nice mix of still "authentic Mexico" but with lots of tourist ammentities like cafes, restaurants, art galleries, and great shopping.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is your home? From the east coast of the US it takes loooong time to get to the west coast of Mexico.
My wild and crazy sister and I have been to Mexico (Cancun and the Riviera Maya) and San Juan. We loved both areas.
The East coast of Mexico offers clear water and ruins to visit. San Juan offers great water and lots of history and nature to explore.
Do you want an All inclusive resort or not/
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Good point about where you're starting from. 5 days is pretty short including travel time.

From east coast U.S. I'd go to the Caribbean, from west coast U.S. I'd go to Pacific Coast of Mexico.

Because you want something not too exotic, you might also look at Cabo or Cancun?
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

We're actually departing from Chicago. We haven't decided on the AI part yet. Maybe since we don't have a lot of time, an AI would be a good idea? I've never done one before but my sister may be more comfortable doing that.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Check air fares to Puerto Vallarta. Hotel Playa Los Arcos or The Buenaventura are two mid-priced all-inclusive hotels that are walking distance to the downtown area. PV is very tourist friendly, so gives you a peak at Mexico but I don't think anyone would find it intimidating or too "exotic".
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM

I am a big Mexico fan, but I am thinking direct from Chicago to San Juan. Maybe a day on your arrival and prior to departure in Old San Juan and Culebra for the three days in between for bluie water, snorkeling and beautiful beach.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM

While Mexico is my first love I can not let stand an above statement that Acapulco is more beautiful than San Juan.
San Juan is a wonderful marvelous city with much to see & do. The Old Town area is historically & architecturally very interesting. There are excellent beaches near by & lots to see on the Island.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Juliekay,

We just got back from <b>Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa</b> yesterday.... Absolutely LOVED it. I'll be posting a detailed Zihua trip report soon.

If you're looking for a relaxing rustic authentic Mexico instead of a touristy Mexico....look no further. However, you will find bluer waters and more interesting history in other parts of Mexico.

Suze's posts about Puerto Vallarta make it sound very interesting.

Since you're traveling from Chicago, maybe consider the <b>Mayan Riviera, Quintana Roo or Playa de Carmen</b>. All maybe closer to Chicago and have the beautiful turqoise waters.

Adios!

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Have you considered Jamaica? We spent part of last December with our 5 children in Negril. It was not only hot, but we had never before seen such clear water in about 15 shades of blue! The sunsets were breathtaking, the food great and inexpensive (we bought patties for .50 right off the beach), the vendors weren't too bad, and we felt safe having our children there. The drive from the airport to our hotel (White Sands) was only about 1/2 an hour long. We're going to Cabo this year with our kids in December, but will miss the warm, clear, blue water of the Caribbean.