Search

2 weeks to go, wish me luck

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks to go, wish me luck

Well, it's down to the wire. We do intend to go, but my husband has a very sick mother, so if we have to, we will leave CR and come home as soon as we can. That is, if her condition worsens. Hopefully it will not, but she is very sick and due for dangerous surgery today possibly. We discussed this, and the entire family thinks we should just go on with our lives as
usual. Well, we are going to try, but will have a cloud hanging over us.
Anyway..We have all the well laid out plans. Except a few, like where to stay our last three nights, but I think we will just play it by ear at this point.
Wish us luck, and for a smooth trip. Needless to say, now I am nervous and not going to have as much fun. Not pleasant, but fact of life. Thanks to all the great advice. Trust me, I read all the feedback and listen carefully.
MJ
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Hope you have a great time. Just make sure you give your itinerary to your family so they know how to contact you if necessary.

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Jed

Here's wishing you luck. Please tell us how things turned out, when you get back.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM

I'll be thinking about you. You won't feel as free as a bird, but you'll enjoy yourselves nevertheless.

Reminds me of the January we went to the Caribbean side for a short 3 days. My brother died 2 weeks before our trip--heart attack. His wife was in England with a sister who was dying of cancer. He had to be in a room at the funeral home for 3 weeks until the sister in England died and the overseas funeral could take place. We went to CR during this time. It felt very weird and I didn't like it. But we had a very interesting trip, one that we will never forget, and it was good.

God bless. . .
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Best of luck, MJ; I hope you guys are able to relax and enjoy it. I'm sure your thoughts will be at home. I hope all goes well with the surgery.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, thanks thanks, all your warm wishes gave me chills. I will keep you posted and let you know how the trip went...Optomistic, MJ
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM

MJ - your post brings back my own feelings, concerns and fears of our last trip to CR. My father was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer just weeks before we were to leave. His treatments would begin while we were away. My children would be staying with my parents. My parents would not hear of us canceling our trip. We had trip insurance and could have with no losses. It was a difficult decision, but in the end we went. This particular trip was quite different than our previous trips. I spent a great deal of time alone, either walking or reading or simply taking in the beauty and wonder that surrounded me. We were in the Osa at BdC and Iguana Lodge. Which could not have been better places to help me to heal from the shock and regroup.

My Dad did well while we were away. My children, all teens at the time, were perfect angels. He has since undergone a stem cell transplant and 3 years later is still in treatment, but WOW what a fighter.

I certainly hope your mother-in-law does well. Hopefully she will and hopefully you can use this time to help to deal with the emotions, concerns and fears that I know you have.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

I just thought I would let you know that my mother-in-law has pulled thru her surgery quite nicely. Whew, she is currently on the mend. My sister-in-law will be taking her home soon and caring for her at her home. Now we can go on this trip and not worry to death! Man, what we go thru with either kids or parents. Hey is that why we take vacations? It is for me this time. I am so looking forward to it. I still have a week and have yet to pack anything. Suitcases are out and clothes are all washed, so I'm pretty ready. I will make a report when I return.
Oh yeah, and do to poor planning, I am also going to miss the election. DUH! Is okay we voted by mail, but still, hopefully we will hear about it in the distant regions we are going to.
Thanks friends..MJ
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM

I'm glad you can go and feel things should be stable back home. Having raced home 3 weeks early from a trip a few years ago due to a family emergency (son in a serious accident), I can tell you it's no fun.

Remember to pack really light! Check out www.onebag.com if you need ideas. And www.npr.com should be a good online resource for election news, among others. Happy trails!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:09 AM

That's great, MJ - nice that you can go on your trip and not worry so much. I was surprised how closely those in CR follow our elections. When we were last there in July, just about every driver and guide wanted to chat about it. They all loved Obama. They said they watch CNN all the time.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Best wishes for you trip, MJ. I hope your mother-in-law continues to recover well from her surgery.

I just had to cancel a trip to Peru due to some unexpected medical issues that cropped up for my friend and traveling companion, so I know what you've been going through! We were supposed to leave for Lima on November 1st, and her doctor told her a few days ago that travel would be highly inadvisable at this time. So now instead of running those last minute errands you always have to take care of in order to leave the country, we're compiling all the paper work we need to make a cancellation claim with our travel insurance company. We're very disappointed, but obviously, my friend's health is far more important than any trip! We hope to possibly re-schedule for next April (and I'm hoping to get to CR for trip #3 in June!).

Have a wonderful time in CR and let us know how it went...

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM

cm, I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. I hope your friend is well soon.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM

cam, so sorry. Please tell your friend that lots of people she doesn't even know are wishing her well! What a disappointment, but you have it all in perspective, I can tell. Please keep us posted. Looking forward to seeing you in June!
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the good wishes Jill and VG.

It is a bit heartbreaking to cancel a long anticipated trip. You just get in that mode where you're so ready for a break from the everyday routine, and to go some place as fascinating as Peru is just major icing on the cake!

My friend is hanging in there. She's actually facing a surgical procedure or 2 to get things back on track healthwise. If all goes according to plan, she should be feeling much better within the coming month and that's the most important thing. She's a dear friend and a fun traveling companion, so hopefully we'll have many more travel adventures in our future!

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM

No doubt you will. Gotta get her all fixed up so you girls can keep on going! We all have to go in for a little "maintenance" now and then! Always nice when it is something that CAN be fixed!
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM

True, Jill! It's the stuff that can't easily be fixed that you really have to worry about. My friend has some issues that could have turned problematic if left unattended, so it's a good thing she's addressing them. She seems quite optimistic that we'll be able to re-schedule Peru for April. So maybe 2009 will end up being a travel extravaganza for me with Peru and Costa Rica in the game plan. I wouldn't hate that!
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM

April isn't too far off; I hope you guys get to go. Planning is half the fun anyway. Speedy recovery to your friend.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks, VG! Keeping our fingers crossed and our outlook optimistic.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Well, I do guess this trip was meant to be, because we are going. Only 5 days out now. Mother-in-law had a replapse of heaalth and had pneumonia...just about dies on us. Today she is so much better. Back to eating and everything else. Watching tv, talking..all the good stuff. So, I think we can go now with way less worries. I cant believe I am leaving on Sunday night! Excited is putting it lightly.
I am half way packed. Husband has done nothing. He is one who waits til the last minute. All will go smoothly. I think it has to after all this turmoil leading up to this trip. Thanks again for everything. I will write a detailed report when I return. MJ
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Have a really wonderful time, MJ!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -