Search

2 week itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 week itinerary

Hi all, just curious what you thought of the itinerary I have planned for a 2 week trip to Costa Rica -

Day 1: Arrive Costa Rica, stay at Grano de Oro in San Jose
Day 2-3: Pacuare Jungle Lodge
Day 4-7: Arenal/La Fortuna, stay at Lost Iguana Resort or Hotel Silencio del Campo (would appreciate reviews/reccomendations)
Day 8-9eace Lodge
Day 10-14: Bosque del Cabo

Will I miss Monteverde or the Pacific Coast if I don't visit? It just seems like too much to fit into one trip. Please let me know what you think of this itinerary and any reccomendations/changes you may have.
Thanks all!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Okay, that should have been Peace Lodge, didn't mean to add that smiley!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM

looks good to me
Beaches in Costa Rica wont blow you away.
im not sure about 2 nights at Peace Lodge you can see the waterfall and waterfall in 1 day.
and then if you spend 3 nights in la fortuna and 3 in BdeCabo, you could fit in a couple in a couple of nights at the beach.
your choice, but unless youre beach people i think your itenary is more interesting.
Skip monteverde youll see way more wildlife/plants/trees etc in BdeC and Arenal.
Go on a day trip from La Fortuna to Cano Negro Reserve:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/cano_n...ome/index.html

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM

meant to say:

"you can see the waterfall and volcano in 1 day"
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM

I thought the smiley was cute!

I think your trip looks great. There are things to do from Peace Lodge. You don't have to stay there all the time. You could visit La Paz etc after you arrive there and again the next afternoon but do a day trip to Poas or Doka during the day. They offer other longer day trips as well. You could just stay and relax too. I think that is allowed on vacation.

Are you planning on two nights on the Pacuare?

Day 1 arrive-night San Jose
Day 2 Rafting-night Pacuare Jungle lodge
Day 3 Rafting-night Pacuare
Day 4 Rafting a.m.-night arenal
Day 5 arenal-night arenal
Day 6 arenal-night arenal
Day 7 arenal-night arenal
Day 8 travel to Peace Lodge-night PL
Day 9 PL-night PL
Day 10 travel to Bosque-night Bosque
Day 11 Bosque-night bosque
Day 12 Bosque-night Bosque
Day 13 Here is where you might have to make some changes depending on your flight time to go home. If you actually leave on the 14th you might have to head back to San Jose on the 13th. You don't want to cut it too tight on departure day. In country flights can be delayed.

Don't worry about missing something. Most of us that travel regularly down there still haven't seen everything. Sounds like you have picked some priorities and that is good.

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Lost Iguana -

Nice spacious room with view of the volcano but not view of lava (it does not flow down that direction). I think the hotel's website is misleading in this aspect and I was very disappointed staying there. Had to drive 16 km east at nights and stand at unsafe roadside to observe the lava.

The last night, we moved to a two-story motel with excellent view of the lava for $60/night (forgot the name and will check with my wife). We got up at 4 am and watched the lava directly from our room.

Also at Lost Iguana, breakfast has limited selection of food. Beds are soft and location is remote from where most activities take place.

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:05 PM
2CR

hx88-when did you stay at Lost Iguana? We were just there at the end of January and were able to see lava flow all 3 nights from our balcony and even our bed. We would recommend staying there.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies - I really appreciate it!

Suzy - that is the itinerary I was planning. Now based on Guanacaste's remark about beaches I am thinking of adding on 3 more days to the trip, as my husband and I do love the beach.

To add beach time I would probably head to the beach in the Guanacaste region after Arenal, then fly from Liberia to Puerto Jimenez for BdC, then fly from there to San Jose and end my trip at the Peace Lodge and be closer to the airport on my last day.

Any reccomendations for beach hotels in the Guanacaste region?

What are the times of year to avoid visiting BdC? I am thinking of traveling sometime this summer, but obviously don't want to be socked in by rain. I am not as concerned with the other regions for my trip.

Thanks again all!!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Playa Hermosa and Playa Ocotal are 30 mins drive to the airport.

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/costa_...ome/index.html

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/photos...hes/index.html
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM

2CR, We were in Arenal area last week for three nights. We could see magnificient lava flow (comparable to lighted ski trails) from El Novillo all three nights. But at Lost Iguana, we could only see one streak of lava at the very far right side of the mountain, meaning the hotel was not in the direction of the lava.

Can you describe what you saw from Lost Iguana?

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM

You have a fabulous itinerary--just excellent. Certainly some highlights of the country. Guanacaste has some nice beaches, among them Playa Flamingo and Playa Conchal. We like the Hermosa and Ocotal areas as well, and from there you can easily drive (in an hour or so) down to Flamingo, Potrero, Conchal, Tamarindo, Playa Grande, etc. Lots to explore in that area. The Congo Trail through the country will connect you straight from Sardinal (near Playa Ocotal and Hermosa) into Playa Potrero.

Good idea to end up at Peace Lodge.

1--Grano de Oro
2,3--Pacuare Jungle Lodge
4,5,6--Arenal (3 nights should be good)
7,8,9--Guanacaste
10,11,12,13--Bosque del Cabo
14,15--Peace Lodge

Know that if you can get to Peace Lodge by 2:00 or so in the afternoon, you will have plenty of time to enjoy everything about the property that afternoon (should you need to cut out a night). Otherwise, the next day would be a good time to visit Poas Volcano (early in the a.m.) and Doka Coffee Estate for a tour. Also a few of the small colonial towns in the area such as Grecia and Sarchi (fun for souvenirs).

What a great trip! Enjoy!

Oh, regarding BdC and the weather, the only time rain is most likely to make your stay miserable is in Sept. or Oct. We were there the first few days in July and it was just great. Rained mostly during the night and for brief minutes in the p.m. I'm sure at times, it rains more, but it worked out nicely for us. Have fun!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM

shellshellco --

We have a very similar itinerary! Ours is:
May 19 - Aleluja (Hotel Bueno Vista)
May 20-23 - Puerto Viejo (Banana Azul)
May 24-27 - Arenal (El Campo Del Silencio)
May 28-29 - Heredia (Peace Lodge)
May 30-June 2 - Matapalo (Bosque Del Cabo)
June 3 - Aleluja (Hotel Villa Bonita)

We have to stay near airport our last night cause can't make flight otherwise.

When are you going?