Hotel in San Jose

Jan 13th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in San Jose

Has anyone stayed at either the Don Carlos, or the Gran Hotel Costa Rica recently? Of these 2 which would you recommend, or any other suggestions in the moderate price range downtown. Does anyone know if the Hotel Le Bergerac is within walking distance to downtown. Thank you for your help.
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM

I just booked for myself a room at Hotel Parque Del Lago for $66.40. The hotel is 3 star and the rate includes breakfast. Can't believe it.
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM

I forgot to mention I booked it through expedia.com this morning.
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM

We especially enjoy the Hotel Don Carlos--excellent location, nice rooms, staff, breakfast, and last time we stayed there (we don't stay in town anymore) very reasonable. El Gran Hotel Costa Rica has recently been renovated, so shouldn't be shabby, but is in a very central (translate NOISY) part of town! Hotel Don Carlos will be noisy as well unless you ask for an interior room.

I haven't stayed at Bergerac, but have heard it is nice. Somehow I don't think it is as close--perhaps it is over in Los Yoses or closer to San Pedro--a short taxi ride away.
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM

The Don Carlos consistently gets very nice reports. Not so with the Gran Hotel. Not to be confused with the Grano de Oro which gets very good reviews.

Here is a recent discussion that may prove to be helpful.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...6&tid=34921167
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM

I highly recommend Parque Del Lago for a budget layover at San Jose. The hotel, parking yard are secured by high walls, steel gates and armored guards. There is one embassy across the street.

The room is small but newly refubrished. Free computer/internet access from cozy office den on 2nd and 4th floors are very convenient. The included breakfast is the best we ever had in US, CR and etc - large selection of food, fresh juice, friendly staffs.

It's also very easy to get on CR-1 highway from the hotel.