Zurich or Geneva?

May 8th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Zurich or Geneva?

I forget which is the one everybody says is nicest? I have to be in Geneva for a couple of days but would take a trip if its worth it. Thanks, Anne
May 8th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Have been to both twice and would probably lean toward Geneva. However, I really liked both! Now, that's not too much help, is it?
May 8th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Bootman4U

"Nicest" is totally subjective,,tell us what you might be interested in seeing or doing.

May 8th, 2003, 04:33 PM
jmw

I love Zurich, Aine, but if you're in Geneve anyway and just have a few days, you can enjoy Switzerland's magic by visiting Montreux, Vevey, St. Saphorin, Lutry, Lausanne, Berne, Gruyeres, Aigle, and Chateau d'Oex, and even Gstaad! There's no "nicest" -- It's a matter of choosing the place that matches you, if you know what I mean. All decisions should be so enjoyable! J.

May 8th, 2003, 09:15 PM

Since you're already in Geneva, you can easily catch the train to Lausanne, Vevey, &/or Montreux, all lovely towns along Lac Luman. I'm very fond of the French-speaking part of Switzerland but to be honest it is the only part I've seen, as I am lucky to have friend who live there. Possible day trips into the nearby wine region and the castles at Gruyere or Chateau de Chillon.
May 8th, 2003, 09:44 PM

Been to both several times over many years. If you are in Geneva, spend time to get to know it. The old town is fascinating with ancient roman ruins under the cathedral. The old town is so small but fascinating by classic European historic standards. The boat trip around the lake is lovely and Lausanne, Montreau and across to Evian
(France) has many colorful and elegant stops.A few years ago we ate at Restaurant du Parkes Eaux-Vives. Don't know if it is still good, but the food there and in many locations around the lake are worth breaking the budget. Shopping, however is better in the duty free shops at the airport and either France or Italy. Switzerland is expensive!
May 9th, 2003, 12:54 AM

All the cities in Switzerland vary greatly in style and cluture and architecture. In Geneva go to Cologny and Corsier by local bus, both delightful and oh so french.
Zurich is completely different in every way with it's german influence so really the answer is they are both great and both deserve a visit.
May 9th, 2003, 12:58 AM

That's culture
another hard day at the office!!