Hotels in Geneva + Zurich pls

Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:00 AM
Melanie

Hotels in Geneva + Zurich pls

I'm looking for lovely hotels, 5 star in Geneva and Zurich. We used to love the Carlton Elite in Zurich but it is no longer. Don't mind chains as long as they are in lovely buildings and have atmosphere. Central location and OK for one well behaved 8 yr old. thanks, Melanie.

Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:10 AM
s

Hello Melanie,

First I must admit that I don’t have any personal experience on the hotels I’m going to suggest. I don’t often stay in 5-star hotels, but I know these by reputation, location and charm (from the outside anyway!). I’m hoping that you may be able to get more first-hand data on these in your further research.

I must also admit that I don’t much like the city of Geneva for visitors; I think we appreciate much more the spectacular views and the serenity of smaller lakeside towns and resorts.

For Geneva, go to Montreux or Vevey. In Montreux, try the Montreux Palace (www.Montreux-palace.ch). In Vevey, try the lakeside Des Trois Couronnes (www.montreux.ch/trois-couronnes) or go
above Vevey, to the Le Mirador Resort (www.mirador.ch).

In Zurich, try either the Baur au Lac (www.bauraulac.ch)
or the Dolder Grand (www.doldergrand.ch). My mother’s friend, who lives in Zurich, prefers the Dolder. It’s a grand old type hotel.

I hope you’ll get some more suggestions!

s

Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
Andre

Melanie,

For Zurich, my picks would be the Baur au Lac, the Widder or the Schweizerhof (the latter is a bit less expensive). The Dolder is a wreck unfortunately.

In Geneva, I would suggest the Hotel des Bergues, the Beau Rivage or perhaps the Hotel de la Cigogne.

Hope thîs helps,
Andre

Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Melanie

Thanks to both of you. We have to be right in Geneva to meet family, so Vevey etc bit too far.
Ah, now I remember about the Baur au lac, that could be it!

Oct 14th, 2002, 04:32 PM
rich

BAR AU LAC!!! my wife and i went to zurich two years ago, we went back hjust to go back to Bar Au lac. you have never had bedding like it, the most plushest bed i've ever been on. servive beyond belief, and awesome restaurants down the street. EXCELLENT!!!

Oct 15th, 2002, 04:51 AM
curt

Another choice that you might like is the Central Hotel in Zurich. Just across the river from the main train station. Very good location and a very nice hotel. Sorry, I can not suggest anything in Geneve.

Oct 15th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Ursula

Melanie, you might also like the "Storchen", if you liked the "Carlton Elite". Very good and quiet location directly situated on the Limmat River.
www.storchen.ch
I also like the above suggestion about the "Central", however, I find the location of the "Storchen" much more charming (on the Weinplatz) and more quiet.

BTW, the "Carlton" is now a very trendy and hip bar/lounge/restaurant.
The upper floors have been turned into offices. (
But the place is still very hip and in.
They even serve English style "high tea" in the afternoons.

Oct 15th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Ronald

I like the Golden Arches hotel just outside Zurich. Not only do they have great bedheads in the shape of an M, they also sell burgers at the McD's and coffee in the Aroma cafe.

Oct 15th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Wendy

Ronnie
want to get together and maybe make some little burgers? EH? Call me sometime big boy. By the way, is that a Big Mac in your pocket or you just glad to see me?

Oct 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Ronald

Wendy
interesting offer but you might be what my Daddy used to describe as "jail bait"..sorry but if you want a Whopper you better go elsewhere...I think I best keep my Big Mac in the holster sweety.