Geneva or Zurich?

Search

Geneva or Zurich?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva or Zurich?

My fiance and I will be in Switzerland for 4 nights after spending the previous week in Paris. We had originally planned on tickets into Paris, taking the train to Zurich (and staying in a nearby area like Luzern or Rapperswil), and flying home from Zurich. I recently read some nice things about Geneva and it looks like we can fly out of there for roughly the same amount.
I would love to know
1. If there is easy train access to Geneva from Paris
2. We are looking for romantic, quaint, character filled towns that aren't exorbitantly expensive (less than $150 night preferably)...would that be better found in the areas around Zurich or Geneva?
3. Which would you choose if you had 4 days in Switzerland?
Thank you so much for all recommendations!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

After posting this, I think my fiance and I have decided to keep our departure out of Zurich, but to hopefully spend a night in Geneva and another nice town along the way. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Any recommendations?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM

I went to Geneva a couple of years ago and it did nothing but rain. However you can't legislate for weather and it was October.
Character filled city with great fattening menus. Like the rest of Switzerland though, it is very expensive.
regards.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM

Switzerland is very small, with both good train connections and road connections. You have good chances to see several places.

I have just organized a three-day-trip with the destinations Bern (where I have business) - Interlaken (mountain scenery) - Montreux (riviera-like town at Lake Geneva) - Geneva.

Here my suggestion for you:

- Take the train from Paris to Geneva (it takes 3:30 hours). Take a hotel in Geneva, leave you baggage, explore Geneva.

- On the next morning, leave Geneva, take the train to Montreux (1 hour). Stoll through Montreux for one or two hours, then take the Golden Pass train to Interlaken (scenic drive, 2:45). Spend the night in Interlaken (or Grindelwald).

- The next day, take the train up the Jungfrauhoch. See dramatic mountain scenery, walk on glaciers etc. This is a full day program. Maybe you can board a dinner cruise on Lake Thun. Spend the second night in the hotel.

- Then take the train to Zürich (2 hrs). See Zürich, especially stroll through the old town in the evening. Spend the night there.

- Departure from Zürich.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM

Jungfraujoch (not Jungfrauhoch).
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:40 AM

Traveller1959 has given you a good plan if you want to move about - the trains are so easy and efficient. I would stay in Grindlewald near Interlaken for romantic smaller town - Interlaken is pretty touristy, not romantic. Grindlewald offers easy access to mountain adventures esp. Jungfraujoch. Hiking abounds, trains to Interlaken and up the mountains. We also loved Lucerne - small, charming city on Lake Lucerne - all boat travel on the lake included if you have a railpass. Several mountain adventures nearby yet plenty to do in the city if the weather isn't cooperative for the mountains. Smaller than Zurich - less crazy but Zurich offers lake and mountains, too. Try to get tickets to the Zurich Symphony for a lovely musical experience - we got them same day.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Mimi is right.

The train up to the Jungfraujoch departs either from Interlaken or from Grindelwald. So it's your choice between the two towns.