Search

Zurich Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich Hotels

I'm currently booked at the Hotel Adler for my last night in Switzerland. We plan to take the train to the airport early the following morning, with our large luggage dropped off at the baggage check the day before.

I came across the Hotel Limmathof, which is only about 300m from the train station. Is this a good hotel?

My concern is that the Adler is in the pedestrian zone across the river, and I might have a difficult time getting transportation to the train station early in the morning during rush hour. I want to make sure I get to the airport in enough time to retrieve luggage, check in with AA, and do some last-minute shopping (chocolates/spirits). Am I being overly cautious?

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:49 AM

Hi,

Here are a couple of threads that address the Limmathof:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34502636

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;tid=159963

Here's a link to the reviews at Tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...itzerland.html

s
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks. That answers my question. The Adler it is.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:25 AM

Yes, it does look pretty dump-like. One of those reviews refers to it as "hostel-like"!

Don't worry about getting from the Adler to the train station -- with only small bags, it should be a pleasant walk. I usually walk to/from my hotels & train stations in Switzerland -- unless it's UPhill (Saanen, Gstaad) or too far. I enjoy savoring the last few minutes in town!

s
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:36 AM
je

Budman - the tram stop to the train station is a very short walk down the alley near the Adler. We've taken it every time we've stayed on that side of the river and it only takes 4 to 5 minutes. Check the schedule at the tram stop - they run frequently. If I remember correctly, numbers 4 and 11 go directly to the station.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM

Agree on the Limmathauf not being ideal, it is also on a noisy part of the Limmatquai as it is quite near a main tram stop and one of the few parts of Limmatquai that still allows car traffic. I think the Adler would be fine.

i.e. is correct that the there is a tram stop is quite close to the hotel. The #4 tram will take you to the main train station. You could also walk to the train station in 10 minutes or a bit more. As I mentioned in other posts, you could also walk to the Stadelhofen train station from the Adler, it would be about equidistant from the hotel to either station. You could also take a tram from the same stop in the other direction and would have a choice of the #4 or #15 tram which would give you a little more tram frequency. In terms of being closest to the station, the #15 tram stops about 60 feet from the track at Stadelhofen, so would require the least walking with bags. The #4 tram to the main train station stops across the street and then you have to walk the entire length of the station hall and find your track (which may be downstairs depending on what train you take. Note that if you are departing from Track 52 you will have quite a hike out to a far platform to the left on the ground floor (sorry I have been in and out of an acrimonious negotiation all day and am quite anal retentive at the moment. . .). Tram times are posted at stops and trams run pretty much right on schedule (no surprise there, it is Switzerland).
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:53 PM
je

Good advice from Cicerone on navigating the Zurich main train station. For example, the S Bahn trains to the airport all leave from downstairs as I remember and this was a little confusing for us the first time. If you have time, I would recommend you go to the station the day before and pick up a schedule of trains specifically to the airport which the ticket agents can provide to see what fits your schedule best. The track numbers are provided on that sked (Swiss efficiency) so that will help you to see from where you have to depart.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 08:46 PM

Track numbers are also listed on the rail.ch website train schedule. When you ae looking at a particular train schedule, say all trains from the main train statoin to the airport starting at 8 am on Tuesday December 6, scroll down to the "Details" part and look at "Platform", this is the track number.