Budget accomodations for 1 night in Zurich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is flying home via Zurich and I've never stayed in Zurich. Need a hostel/pension/budget hotel for him for one night. He will be arriving Zurich around 9:30am by train and leave next morning by train to airport at 9am.

So I need: easy access from train station to airport/and a location so he can explore Zurich in his one day there Suggested to me was: Hotel Adler, Rosengasse 10; Jugendherberge Hostel, Mutschellenstrasse 114, and City Backpacker/Hotel Biber, Niederdorfstrasse 5....Trying to keep cost to $100 max.

Anyone familiar with any of these or have alternative?
Also, for 20 yr old interested in architecture, contemporary art, photography...a something he shouldn't miss in one day? Good cheap eats?

Much appreciated -
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Adler with my family over part of the holiday - loved the hotel. We stayed in a larger room for 3(HUGE) and paid 250 CHF. Check the rates, but I am not sure that $100 will cut it there.

If you do choose it, ask for a courtyard room. It's only about a 15- minute walk from the the train station and that was with a 4-year old in tow -a trolley also passes right near it from the train station.

For eats, hard to be cheap there -- when we wanted to be cheaper, we went to the COOP, which is a supermarket right outside of the train station. There is a little eating place right outside that is "relatively" cheap. Also, right behind the Adler, there is a pedestrian area filled with relatively less expensive eateries of various nationalities.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Hotel Arlette will be my choice next time we go to Zurich. It's a walkable distance from the train station. I've not been able to find a website other than booking sites:
http://www.hotels.travelmall.com/tra.../UI_01250.html

Here are a couple of other potential spots:
Close to train station - Marta Guesthouse
http://www.martahaus.ch/en/

Just down (up?) the river from the train station - Alexander Guesthouse
http://www.hotel-alexander.ch/index.html
I think they have two buildings, one with lower rates than the other.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Close to the rail station is Hotel Walhalla www.walhalla-hotel.ch/en/frameset.html They have an annex with simple rooms currently listed as starting at 100 CHF / 78USD. Breakfast is an additional 16CHF and quite nice.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Arlette on my last trip. It was a short walk across the river to the train station. I think the cost is about right for you. It seems to me I contacted the hotel directly, not through a booking site.
Here is the address:
26 Stampfenbachstrasse

I have this url for it:
http://www.utell.com/property.cfm?br...amp;prop=01250

I can't find the phone or fax number but you might be able to find it if you use the search function and search arlette.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you gambador, travlnut and seamus!!
great advice - i quickly looked at their sites and all w/ rooms between 80-100 US - they all look great - I will find a room open at one of them tonight I am sure - my son thanks you and , of course, as his mom , (even though he's 20, the mom appreciates a good, safe find!) traveling back to the states to return to college, I thank you !!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

cis2paris our posts must have crossed while I was typing - thank you too !!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:23 AM

I saved some info on Hotel Arlette, never used it so don't know if it's correct:
Tel: +41 01 252 0032 Fax: +41 01 252 0923
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

thanx travlnut - I'm trying to grab something by the weekend, so this helps - appreciate it.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - ended up with a room at the Hotel Adler, after searching prices on the web for his date, what was left, prices, etc - which at Adler ranged from 117 up, I emailed them direct and was able to get him a small room, single twin, for 120 U.S. - He's been in small rooms/hostels and thought I'd treat him to a nice final night before heading home. It looks like a nice location and they answered by email in same day sent - and thanks for the recs, a good list to have, as they were all fabulous and well located.