Need Zurich Hotel Recommendation

Mar 13th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Need Zurich Hotel Recommendation

Hi,

I'm in Mulhouse, France now visiting friends. They are leaving for Geneva to ski with family at the end of the week. I want to get a hotel room in Zurich on Thursday evening so I can get to the Zurich Airport easily. Ideally, I want an inexpensive hotel (less than US$100/night) near the Zurich main train station/downtown area. I have all day Thursday and Friday morning to explore Zurich.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Mar 14th, 2005, 03:44 AM

Try Hotel Limmathof (www.limmathof.com), which should be just what you want.

We spent a night there in October. The location is great, just across the river from the train station.

I think some of the rooms have not been renovated, so you might ask for one which has been.

Byrd

Mar 14th, 2005, 04:34 AM

Hi mingtsainy,

If you're willing to go a bit beyond Zurich, I recommend you stay in the suburb of Kuesnacht, about 10 minutes by s-bahn from Zurich and about 30 minutes by direct train from the airport.

I've stayed at the Ermitage in Kuesnacht a few times, and the hotel recently opend a low-price alternative just a few steps from the train station. Rates are 110 chf for a single. Check it out at www.ermitage.ch, then click on "Villa Ermitage."

I really enjoy Kuesnacht -- its park, its lakeside scenery, its low-key ambiance. But then I simply don't like cities.

s
Mar 14th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion on Hotel Limmathof, Byrd. I found little to zero customer reviews on the hotel so I'm a wee bit skeptical about staying there -- not that your review wasn't important.

I found another inexpensive inn, ZicZac Rock Hotel around the corner from the Rathaus for US$75.00/night via www.cheaptickets.com. It has a couple good reviews from former customers/travelers.

I will post my review of ZicZac Rock Hotel on here here next week.
Mar 19th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Here's my review of ZicZac Rock Hotel in Zurich. It is situated on a lively part of the old town. It's one block from river/canal and three subway stops from the main train station -- it's like a 10 minute leisurely walk.

The rooms are very small but very comfortable and clean. My single room on the 5th floor (Marillion Room) did not have an attached bathroom. The toilet was on the same floor and the shower facility was one floor down (4th floor).

It is centrally located and very convenient to everything. The supermarket (COOP) was across the street from the train station and all the tourist attractions are there.

Great for a one night layover. Not sure about staying longer because of the bathroom situation.