Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Schweizerhof or Hotel Glockenhof in Zurich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of these 2 hotels would be a better choice as far as location and quality?
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I have never stayed at Schweizerhof, but have stayed at Glockenhof a number of times. Glockenhof is just one (short) block from the Bahnhofstrasse. I happen to like the place a lot. There is a breakfast buffet that provides enough food to get me going in the morning.

I think Schwsizerhof might be a lot more expensive??? But I'm not sure.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding. Both rates are comparable, I am just not sure which is better.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:47 PM

The Schwerizerhof is a 4 star and the Best Western Glockenhof is only a 3 star I believe so if you are getting the same rates you are either got a real deal at one or paying too much at the other. . .. The Schweizerhof is directly across the street from the train station so is very convenient for trains or going to the airport by train. The Glockenof is a bit further down the Banhofstrasse, but is also conveniently located. (I disagree that it is "one short" block from the train station. One short block from the train station would be the Gothardstrasse and the Gothard hotel). Either are fine in terms of location. Both are walkable to restaurants and the old town. If you got a good rate at the Schwierzerhof I would stay there.

On tripadvisor.com, the Schwezerhof was ranked 14 out of 76 and the Glockenhof was ranked 16.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:03 AM

Not that it matters at this time of year, the Schweizerhof is airconditioned but the Glockenhof is not. Thats my experience but it was many moons ago
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:06 AM

For the record, Schweizerhof and Glockenhof are BOTH 4*. I remembered so and my Swiss Hotel Guide 2005 has conformed it.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Yes, I understand that both are now 4 star, and most of the rooms at the Glockenhof also have airconditioning. It sounds as though the Schweizerhof is preferred based on the quality of the hotel?