hotel/trip suggestions for Lucern?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In July of this year we will be winding down our honeymoon by making our way back to Zurich from Italy, to fly out of the Zurich airport on July 26th. As our itinerary is planned now, we will be taking the train from the Genoa area (actually Camogli), on the 24th. I have a couple of questions. First, is it feasible to stay in Lucern and then take the train directly to the airport from Lucern on the 26th? We have a flight out around 11:30am. Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel in Lucern that is centrally located (we will not have a car) and doesn't cost more than 300 Euro a night? Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM

Hi. Yes you can definitly stay in Lucern the night before. We did the exact same thing last July. There are trains every half hour or so from Lucern to the zurich airport, and it only takes a little over an hour. We stayed at the Hotel Goldener Stern (google it, they have a website) which was about a ten minute walk from the train station in Lucern. Lucern was lovely and I defintly recommend it over staying in Zurich (which was Ok, but not as nice as Lucern). By the way, I also loved Camogli. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that information! I will look into the hotel you mentioned. I was a little worried about getting to the airport from Lucern and you put my mind at ease. I appreciate the help!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM

We've stayed at the Hotel Schiller and the Hotel Continental Park very near the train station, both were quite nice and had A/C. The hourly direct trains from Luzern to the Zurich airport take about an hour so you'll have plenty of time.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM

http://www.goldener-stern.ch/

We stayed there in 2003, and liked it fine. It is very plain (2*) but clean, located on the opposite side of the river from the old town, but same side as the train station. We walked with our backpacks from the train station for the 800 meters or so, about 10 minutes. I recall the twin room rate was hovering around $100 at the time, which is a budget level for Lucerne.

Another popular hotel, maybe 1 more star, is the Hotel des Alpes that is across the river from the train station (but also short walk to get to it). If you enter it in the search box, you should get some hits.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:21 AM

Hi spillthewine,

For a hotel in Luzern, also look at Des Balances (www.balances.ch). It's in the old town with views of the Chapel Bridge. Lovely place. Unfortunately, the English version of its website isn't complete yet, but you can probably navigate the German version.

Good luck!

s
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM

ps, Remember that Switzerland uses the Swiss Franc, not the Euro!

s
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information. We made reservations at Hotel Des Alpes after reading some reviews here. Hope it works out just fine. We will have a river view, but not planning to spend all our time in the room!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM

I stayed at the Hotel des Alpes years ago ( I was in college at the time and am now "une grand-mere" it was a nice hotel then, and I can't imagine a better location and view in Lucerne. Have fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:41 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Continental Park and loved it.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great and the rooms were clean and modern.
It's very close to the train station so it's convenient.
It's not a luxury hotel with a spa but it's a good solid hotel with good value.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM

If you'll have some larger luggages, you can keep what you need for 1 night in a backpack and drop off the larger luggages at the Lucerne train station the day before. They'll forward them to the train station under the Zurich Airport, ready for pickup next morning. I forgot the cost, but it was very cheap.

Then the following morning, you don't have to lug large luggage around on the train to Zurich. It was great to get up in the morning, hop on the train to Zurich with just a backpack, pick up my luggage in Zurich and check in to my flight.

Also, depending on the airline (unfortunately none of the US-based ones), I believe you can check-in your luggage at the Lucerne train station.