One day in Switzerland- Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have one day/night to spend in Switzerland and would appreciate some suggestions on where to spend it. My only requirement is that it is relatively close to Zurich Airport (1.5 hour train or less) for a morning train ride before a flight. In Switzerland, I have only been to Zurich before. I would like to go somewhere that is a good representation of Swiss culture, either ubran or more rural. At this point, Bern or Chur seem like good options. Thanks very much!
Jason
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Luzern is 1.5 hours train from Zurich.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Bern, Basel and Luzern are each less than 1.5 hours if you get a direct train from the Zurich airport. In Bern and Luzern, most of what you would be interested in is a fairly short walk from the train station. In Bern, you could walk from the train station across town to the bear pit and take a bus back. In Luzern, you could do an easy circular walk route. Basel has a very nice Old Town area but it is a long walk from the train station. My first choice of the three would be Luzern--arguably more to see and do and the surrounding area is more pleasant.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Another vote for Luzern, given the time constraints.
At 10 minutes past the hour, you can take a direct train from Luzern to the airport train station in 63 minutes.

As you probably know, the airport train station is in the airport building itself, with elevators and escalators to assist you, if I recall correctly.

I recall an elevator from last year.
Is the escalator still there??
I know it was a hazard because people would try to take baggage carts down the thing and end up jamming the mechanism.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I live in Zurich and can make some reccos for good trips close in, but if you can tell me the date you will be here, I can better tailor my response. Also, are you interested in walks/hikes (easy or difficult) or biking and other outdoor activities and scenery, or would you prefer museums?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cicerone. I will be there late May (probably the 30th). I prefer museums and cafes. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM

The luggage carts in Zurich airport are specifically designed to work on the escalators. The trick is you have to let go of the cart once you are on the escalator. It is very counterintuitive.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Hmmm, runsally, I figured you were going to say you wanted to see scenery. If museums and cafes are really it, then you might want to stay in Zurich and see one or more of the following:

E. G. Bührle Collection - great collection of 18th and 19th century art, including many impressionist paintings. Take a look at http://www.buehrle.ch/

Reitberg - great collection of Asian and other non-European art. Take a look at reitberg.ch

Landesmuseum/National Museum of Swiss History - very good, near the main train station, take a look at http://www.musee-suisse.ch/--

Kunstmuseum - good collection of 18th and 19th century art.

Kunsthalle - changing exhibits of young and relatively unknown modern artists. Take a look at http://www.kunsthallezurich.ch/

ZUNFTHAUS ZUR MEISEN - porcelain museum. In a lovely baroque building. Their huge ceramic stoves are worth a short visit. http://www.musee-suisse.com/

Rathaus - town hall. On the river. Beautiful coffered-ceiling meeting rooms. On the right bank of the old town in a lovely area of shops and cafes. The website is in German, but a guidebook or your hotel should be able to tell you the opening hours.

Museum Oskar Reinhart am Stadtgarten - have not been here, but I understand it is a good collection of art by mainly German and Swiss artists. Take a look at http://www.museumoskarreinhart.ch/

I would normally recco the Kunsthaus, but virtually the entire museum is shut down until 2006 as they are doing major renovations. I think they have one exhibit on offer, take a look at http://www.kunsthaus.ch/

For a list of all the museums in Zurich, go to http://www.zuerich.com, and click on “Museums & Art” from the left hand menu.

There are a large number of cafes in town, most with outdoor seating. I can post reccos if you decide to stay in Zurich.

Lucerne has several museums, including a history museum, train museum and a Picasso museum, which are supposed to be good. (Not so sure about the Picasso museum thou.) I must confess to not having been to any of them. I am just not a fan of the town, and if I go it is for a day with visiting friends who want to see the bridge, the lion, etc, and we don’t have time for museums.

Other trips to consider:

1. Winterthur, a town about 20 minutes by train from Zurich, which has several excellent museums and a small but interesting old town area. The best known and best museum is the Kuntshaus, go to http://www.kmw.ch

2. Basel would be another good trip. This is about 30 minutes by train from Zurich. There is a small but well-preserved old town area along the river, including a cathedral. There is a good Kunstmuseum (fine arts museum). There is a history museum, but I have not been there so can’t comment. There is also an excellent modern and post-modern art museum just outside of town, the Foundation Beyeler, which can be reached by tram. Their website is beyeler.com/foundation

3. A trip to the Shaufassen area would be a good trip, to see the Rheinfall, the lovely painted buildings in the old town, the castle on the hill, and possibly take a river cruise. Schauffasen is about 30-40 minutes by rail from Zurich. Not a whole lot in the nature of museums, but the old town is kind of an outdoor one. There is an excellent restaurant at the falls with a terrace with a great view. I will look up the name if you are interested.

4. St Gallen would be worth a trip I think. It also has a well-preserved old town, a cathedral, monastery and the Abbey Library which contains a lot of ancient manuscripts. The town was quite rich in the middle ages, and the old town shows this. The town’s wealth was built on the lace and textile industry, in which St Gallen was and still is a world leader. St Gallen is just over an hour by train from Zurich. Very much off the beaten path by US tourists.

5. If you are interested in baroque churches, then a trip to Einsiedeln might interest you. This is about an hour by train from Zurich. There is a large and beautiful church which contains the “black Madonna” of Switzerland. There is also a monastery which sells its own wine. It is in a lovely area of green rolling hills with great Alp views on clear days. Take a look at Einsiedeln.ch (cant’ find an Engish version, but for basic info, go to http://usa.myswitzerland.com and do a search for Einsiedeln).

6. Lake Constance/Bodensee would be another choice, specifically Mainau Island, a few miles north of the German city of Konstanz (Constance),at the northeast end of the lake. (Bring your passport) There is a castle with extensive grounds here, not a whole lot to see inside, but great gardens just beginning to peak in late May. You can get to Konstanz by rail from Zurich in about 2 hours, could be combined with a trip to Schauffuasen, as the train usually makes a stop in Schauffhuasen.

7. Another place to consider would be Rapperswil, which is down the lake from Zurich and reachable by a very nice ferry ride (can come back by train as it is faster.) There is a well-preserved old town area which has a Polish museum (not really interesting unless you are Polish) and a circus museum (the Swiss love circuses). The charm of the trip is in the boat ride down and seeing the old town. There is a lovely rose garden which should be in good blooming order in late May. Take a look at www.rapperswil.ch, click on the UK flag for the English version.

I don’t know anything about hotel accommodation in any of these places, but could look into it. Given their relative closeness to Zurich, you could just as easily stay in Zurich. (Give me your budget and I can recco some hotels.) Also it will be light in May until well after 10 pm, so you can do any one or maybe more of the above as part of a day trip and still get back to Zurich in time to get in some sightseeing and a late dinner.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM

runnsally:
I personally love Bern with all its arcaded shops, medieval fountains, little city parklets, outdoor cafes and the Rosegarten above the city with fabulous views of the Aar river. I don't care very much for the sad bear pits which so many tourists love.

I also like the nearby town of Zug very well. Pretty setting on Lake Zurich, lovely old half-timbered houses, swans, lakeside ornithary displays, yummy outdoor cafes (who can EVER have enough?). Climb a city tower for great views (get the key next door in the police station, leaving a small refundable deposit). A smaller town, just right for leisurely ambling.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM

Funny, rach, I was going to write again today about Zug, as I had meant to include it in my post yesterday. Zug is only about 20 minutes by train from Zurich, and there are numerous connections all day. Take a look at http://cms.zug-tourismus.ch. Their old town is small but has some of the prettiest patented buildings I have yet seen in Switzerland, and the lake setting is pretty with the Alps in the background. Really off the US tourist path. If you like the work of Klimit, Schiele, and other 20th century artists, the Kunsthaus would be a great place to visit. Go to http://www.kunsthauszug.ch. There are several other museums in town, check their website.

A very good restaurant there is the Gausthaus Rathauskeller. It is in the old town.

Gausthaus Rathauskeller
Ober-Alstadt 1
Tel: 41-41-711 0058

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 12:56 AM

If you want to see what has repeatedly been described as "the most beautiful curch interior in Switzerland" then the abbey church at St. Gallen would be the place.

The interior of the adjoining library has to be seen to be believed, however the library has rather restricted opening hours.

Great place to visit and you don;t usually even hear about it on this board except from those of us who have taken the time to go there.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info. Exactly what I was looking for...Cheers!

Jason
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Cicerone, if one had to spend time in Zurich, what are some of the highlights in the city? I have always heard Zurich is just a big city, but was wondering what is there that would represent Swiss culture and scenery if any. Also what would be a good area to stay in with say 3 to 4 star accomodations? Thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:31 AM

OK first of all Zurich is NOT a big city, its population is about 350,000. London has 7 million, Paris and Rome have about 2 million each, not including their extensive suburbs. On the scale of things, Zurich is not a big place. By way of comparison, Omaha Nebraska has a larger population.

It’s hard to suggest an itinerary without knowing your interests. The obvious: there are several excellent museums to start with, including the Swiss History Museum, which is the national museum of Swiss culture and history. There are two churches that merit an inside visit (Grossmunster and Fraumunster) and several that are in charming areas (St Peters, Augustinerkirche). There are ferry boat trips on the river and the lake. There is Utelberg for great Alp views (all the way to Germany on a really clear day). There are dozens of excellent restaurants, most with outdoor seating. (If it goes about 50F, Swiss are outside, they are a crazy people.) There is some excellent walking and biking, esp down from the Forchbahn to the lakeside, and along the lake by bike. Beyond the big name shops like Tiffany, Fendi, Bulgari, etc, there is some very good but very expensive shopping in small boutiques run by the artisans for things like hand made bags, gloves, shoes, etc and lots of art galleries.

To me, the charm of Zurich is in the old town areas, almost all of which are car-free and cobbelstoned. I love just strolling along admiring the variety and age of the buildings. There are medieval buildings next to Renaissance ones, and every so often a modern one thrown in. There are ruins of Roman baths on Thermgasse. There is a bakery on Oberdorftstrasse that has been in operation since the 1620s, which I find amazing. Looking down the Oberdorstrasse with the towers of the Grossmunster looming over the tiny street, I imagine that the view is essentially unchanged in at least 500 years. There are many little cafes and shops. At night you can see inside the upper floors where you will often see a wooden coffered ceiling or a painted ceiling. In the summer, everyone has window boxes filled with geraniums, and if you look closely, many have rooftop terraces (including me, a big plus in the summer months).

Would I skip the mountain areas of Switzerland in favor of Zurich? No. Would I choose Zurich over the northeast end of Lake Geneva? No. But I would choose Zurich over the other “cities” like Geneva, Berne, Basel and Lucerne.