Yorkshire Base

Mar 25th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Yorkshire Base

My family of four has five nights to spend visiting northern England by car in early July. We would like to see the city of York, the coast around Whitby, and some of the eastern Dales. We would also like to venture up to see Hadrian's Wall and perhaps Durham. These would form the outer reaches of the places we want to visit. By consulting a map it seems like the area around Thirsk provides a central location with all the sights I've mentioned within a 2 hour drive. I am wondering if it is wise or even feasible to use a single base to explore these areas?
Mar 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM

ethylene,

Yes, but Hadrian's Wall could be a long way depending on what you want to do there. For my money the best bits are near Haltwhistle and that will take a good two hours of main road, plus any peak hour delays. The scenic route via Teesdale and Alston (which is splendid, but then I love that area) would take over three. For the Wall you might consider Haltwhistle area for a night.

Michael
Mar 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I'll put in another plug for a wonderful B&B in Stearsby - the Granary.

If you click on my name, you'll find my trip report with a lot of details about the place, but - in short - it as wonderful!

North of York a little, and we went to almost everyplace you mentioned, and could have gone to the rest.

I'm rushing off in a hurry, but do check my trip report (something like "Four Women, Two Weeks, One Rental Car" is the title).

There are some real experts on the area you've chosen on this board - I hope that my post will top this and catch their attention, too.

Gayle
Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM

our family is thinking of a similar trip in july or august '07. is that generally a time when the area is crawling with visitors? i loved york and whitby in my youth and really want to see it again as an "adult."

thanks!
Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM

Hi Melissa
I live in North Yorkshire and can hopefully help you with your proposed trip.
Mid -July and August are of course peak tourist times as this is when the school children are on holiday. The first 2 weeks in July would be much quieter Ė the schools break up in the middle of the month (date varies from area to area)
York is very much a tourist hot spot and being local I tend not to visit this time of year, but I donít think you should be put off it you want to go. Week days are less busy than weekends.
If you are renting a car you might want to consider a Farm Bed and Breakfast a few miles outside York? These tend to be very good value compared to a hotel prices, and if you want peace and quiet from the bustle of York they could be ideal. This website www.yorkshirenet.co.uk has lots of examples.
Whitby doesnít change much as the years go by! Yes, itís popular but I still love the place. Donít miss Robin Hoodís Bay.
Let me know if you think I can help you any more.

Sep 4th, 2006, 06:13 AM

morgana,

thanks for the website - it's great! the first two weeks in july look good . . .
Sep 4th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Melissa--I just did a trip to Yorkshire and based out of Dentdale...a b & b called Smithy Fold. I loved this remote area, especially walking on the idyllic Dale's Way and being close to the "book town" of Sedbergh. This is a couple of hours to the west of York, and you may want to consider it in addition to the places on your list.
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM

If you're doing Durham and Hadrians wall you could combine with a night at Lumley Castle www.lumleycastle.com

That would give you a chance to start early for the wall. Even better if you can link it with one of the castle's elizabethan banquets!
Sep 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM

We spent several nights in Thirsk and found it quite convenient for most sights.
Sep 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
kdcwood

Two summers ago, our family of three rented a cottage near Harrogate and later hiked across Yorkshire on the 190-mile Coast-to-Coast walk. We loved everything we saw and experienced.

Since you mentioned the possibility of Thirsk, I wanted to suggest Osmotherly as another possible base for your stay. Osmotherly is about 15 minutes from Thirsk and was one of the prettiest villages we saw in Yorkshire.

We stayed at the Vane House in an absolutely wonderful family room with two twin beds and a double bed. http://www.vanehouse.co.uk/

Kathy

Sep 5th, 2006, 05:10 AM

not that i can afford to pay the airfares next summer, but ... yorkshire sounds so great! thanks for all the info (and to ethylene for letting me hijack her thread).

currently thinking i would like to focus on York, the Moors, and Whitby over a week or so. where best to stay for a family of three? is it possible to do it all by public transit, or was that more fun when i was 20?

i have some wonderful pix of the graveyard/abbey/north sea in Whitby. hope i can make it up those steps again!

Sep 5th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Melissa19, Regarding you question about public transportation around York. I found that they have very good bus service. I took the bus to Whitby last year from the train station to Whitby and later on to Scarborough, then train back to York. During the tourist season they have the"MoorBus".
Also, I recommend you use the following site for transportation options. "Traveline Public transport information"

Search this Thread