How is New York in July?

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is New York in July?

Hello again!
Everyone was so helpful when I was planning my last trip to NY, so I thought I would ask for some more guidance. We are going to be arriving July18-26. Few questions : 1. How is the weather? 2. We are planning to attend a Yankee game on the 22 at 1:05, will this take up the whole day/evening? 3.We would like to go to Grimaldis for pizza, if we take the water taxi from South Street Seaport is it easy to find once we get to Brooklyn? And is it hard to find our way onto the Brooklyn Bridge from there? 4. Lastly, many events going on in NY at that time? Last time I left the day of The MTV movie awards! Poor planning on my part, would not like that to happen again!
Thanks for all your help!
Reyna
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:48 AM

1. Hot and often humid. Look at the trip planner on wunderground.com

2. It won't go into the evening unless there's a double header scheduled & you've got tickets to both games. You should be out by 4-5 pm

3. It's easy to find Grimaldi's and you'll see the bridge. Here's an older post that may be helpful.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34446722

4. Look at the calendar on nycvisit.com
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:08 AM

I was in Manhatten that week last year. Lucky to be a week before the 100 heat the following week.

Yep- It's real hot, actually we rode the subway out to Jamaica to "cool off" but the subway platforms were reading close to 100. Be prepared, have plenty of drinks available and take your time.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Mmmmm.... NYC Late July/August: oppressive heat, humid, smells like urine everywhere....

Negative Nelly out of the way, you might want to check out Central Park Summerstage to see if there are any concerts you might like during this period. I can't think of any other major events during that time period...

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I live in NY and ride the subways daily ... the only place in Manhattan with the mentioned odor is Times Square ... go figure.

New York City is the best place to be any time of year, so enjoy!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Trust me, you can get that pee smell in the East Village.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM

July is the hottest month in New York and often humid.

One issue is the subway. I usually take it - except in the summer. The cars have AC but the stations do not. so all the hot air from the cars sits in the stations - turning them into little hell holes. So - in July, August and early Sept I take bus, cab or car.

A baseball game usually lasts around 3 hours. So you should be out of the stadium by around 4:30pm. But - if it goes extra innings or there is a rain delay it can last much longer. (Do go to the Stadium very early - to tour Monument park and see the teams taking batting practice and pre-game warm-ups. (For a 1 pm game I would arrive no later than 11am.)

Also- don;t know where your seats are but the Stadium is huge - so bring binolulars. (Assume you have seats already - if not, get them NOW - for a chance at decent seats - since almost all games sell out.)

There is always something going on in NYC - and many will not be announced until much closer to the date (movie premieres etc). So - suggest you keep checking web sites of New York Magazine and TimeOut New York. Also - look at the web sites of any group you're interested in.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Times Square didn't have NEAR the offensive odors that Chinatown had in July. Made me want to run out of there in a hurry and certainly didn't stop to eat anything.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Pardon the pun, but what is this crap about the smell of urine in New York City! Trust me, folks, that odor really doesn't permeate throughout the Big Apple.
Also, I have a minor disagreement with nytraveler. I believe that August, not July, is historically the warmest month of the year in New York....not that it's so cool in July, but it's more bearable than August.
One thing I will agree on: The subway stations are definitely hot in the summer!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I will admit that I have always FELT August to be hotter - don;t know if it's the humidity or the length of the summer or what. But, in fact, all of the weather sites show July as being several degrees hotter than August (avg high of 86 versus 83).
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:45 AM

nytraveler, maybe it's the humidity that's higher in August. Whatever the reason, August has always been considered the dog days!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM

So, should one choose busses over the subway while traveling in the city in summer?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Not necessarily ... crosstown busses in particular can be INCREDIBLY slow. One recent study showed that the M14 and M42 averaged 3-4 miles per hour.

If you're dressed comfortably, as a tourist should be, the subway platforms aren't that bad. (For New Yorkers in suits/professional clothes, it's awful.)

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Well- there are so few crosstwon subways that this isn't an either or - except for 42 st shuttle - most subways go north/south. And for crosstown your choices are bus or taxi or walk.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

The subway stations were extremely hot last time I was there at the end of August. I am preparing myself for the next trip. As for the smell, I was very surprised with the subway stations in general. The one thing I would hear over and over when I mention wanting to visit NY was how dirty it is and how much it smells. Obviously those comments were from people that have never even travelled to NY! I found it very clean and no smellier than most cities. I love my Seattle, but there are places that stink here too!
I have a few more questions: 1. Last visit I didnt attempt to go inside prada and all the other VERY expensive stores in fear they would scoff at me. Are they welcoming to visitors that just want to browse? 2. Unfortunately last time we ate at restuarants we knew more than ones we just discovered. Where can I find really good food for a moderate price. Still working with that waitress budget! 3. My brother in law is a huge sports fan and music fan (he is a dj) and I was wondering if you could give me some good advice on where to take him. We are going to a Yankee game, eating at ESPN Zone, and stopping by Madison Square Gardens( I did not see anything worthwile going on while we are there) and of course taking him to Virgin records. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM

July is HOT! HOT! Hot! in NY
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:51 AM

ugh, we were there the first three days of July last year and it was in the 90s. Now I'm from Cleveland so I am used to this horrible, humid heat, but I'm usually in my Mom's pool or someone elses. I probably would not go back to NYC in the summer, but if you are prepared it will be ok. I survived, and I'm a big baby.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Ugh. Hit the Yankees game, and then hit the LIRR right on out to either Long Beach or the Hamptons and cool yourself off on the water.

If you insist on staying in the city, just take a cab, right on down to Artuoro's in the Village for pizza - you don't have to go all the way to DUMBO for pizza. Have fun!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Yes, it's hot, and you can practically met in the subway stations, no matter how comfortably dressed, and I really can't see HOW people in professional clothes do it without fainting. The thing I found hardest was that NOWHERE seemed cool--air-conditioning never seems to reach that cold level they achieve in south Florida, for example.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM
emd

I know this year has been unusual weather-wise, but I took my daughter to NYC in late August 2006 for a week, fully expecting it to be uncomfortably hot and gross. It was not hot at all that week. We never broke a sweat. It rained some each day and was in the upper 70s, and it actually got cold enough on a Sunday (w/a rain storm) that I wished I had a jacket to go over my long sleeves. I know it was unusual, but maybe you'll luck out like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -