Search

York and the Dales: Just 3 days

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York and the Dales: Just 3 days

Please help, Morgana (and others) ...

Heading with my wife by train from London to York in October for just three days (Tu-W-Th) before returning to London Friday afternoon.

It's quite likely we'll be in York just a day, but then we'd enjoy exploring as much of the Dales by car as possible. We'll hire a car in York.

I'm torn between exploring on our own with no itinerary and yet making sure we don't miss the must-see scenic drives, towns and mini-hikes in the Dales. I regret our time there is so brief.

Fountains Abbey certainly sounds beautiful, and I've heard much of West Burton, Wensleydale and Herriot country, but I would certainly appreciate any advice you (and others) could lend on other places.

Many thanks in advance for helping a couple of wayward Dales-bound motorists.

kb
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM

We enjoyed waling around Malham cove & up the limestone cliff area. The little villages around there are beautiful.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, alan64. I'm reading lots of many posts on the Malham area as I make my way through this forum. Sounds nice.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM

Hi
Great to hear you are heading up my way.
The questions you are asking have been asked of me many times, and I think the reason is that 'the Dales' cover such a huge area and it is hard to know where to go. Also there is no right or wrong area to head for, as it is all so beautiful.
As you have already discovered, the Dales are divided into lots of different dales - eg Wensleydale, Swaledale, Nidderdale, all with their own characteristics and beauty. Are you booked into accommodation in York already? If not, why not have one night in York and then stay in the Dales themselves, as they are a fair drive from York itself? This would be a much better use of your time. Many Dales farmhouses do a very reasonably priced B and B, or you could stay in a small Dales town or village. This website is good for accommodation -
www.yorkshirenet.co.uk
or I could give you my own recommendations.
I agree that Fountains is beautiful, and it's in easy reach of York, but it isn't in the Dales.
I can recommend a 50 mile Dale drive which would certainly give you an excellent introduction to part of the Dales. Details here -
http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/tourist/...rive/index.htm
As you can see it starts from Skipton but you could pick it up from any point, (and avoid Skipton is you wish). I would certainly make this a full day trip as you will be out of your car like a yo yo admiring the views and villages! The only comment I would make on the drive is that it just misses Bolton Abbey, and I would certainly do a detour (as it does suggest) to see this place.
This drive concentrates on Wharfedale, which features in the film Calendar Girls. Worth seeing if you haven't done so - the drive goes through many villages featured in the film. If you wish to do some walking then again you stop off at Malham, or anywhere you fancied. Grassington in particular has walks radiating in all directions from the village centre. This website will give you some ideas -
www.croftway.freeserve.co.uk/walking.htm
Wensleydale and Swaledale are further north and could be your destination for the next day? West Burton is picturesque but tiny!
I go walking in the Dales most weekends and this walk in Swaledale has to be in my top 3 of all time -
www.walkingbritain.co.uk/m/walk_b1.php?id=1056
Hope I haven't flooded you with info. Do get back to me with any more questions and I'll do my best to assist. And don't worry - you'll be able to see loads of the Dales in the short time you have!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Hi, Morgana. My husband and I are making a trip to the UK next summer in July and I was going to post a similar question. We will be coming from Haltwhistle toward York, and I thought that particular day we could explore some of the Dales on the way to York. Where would we enter and exit this 50 miles loop, or should we take another route? Thanks. Helene
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Hi Helene
Haltwhistle to York would be quite a drive, as instead of doing the fast route(heading over to the A1 and then driving south), you'll be doing a lot of cross country. However, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to see some of the Dales, but the northern ones would make more sense than the big loop I have suggested for kbutts.
I would suggest you head down to the Kirkby Stephen area, and then pick up the B6270 which takes you through some lovely villages. For example Thwaite, Muker, Gunnerside and Reeth. Beautiful scenery, and plenty of places to stop and admire the view. Then along to Richmond where you can fairly easily pick up the A1 and head down towards York. Richmond itself is a lovely town with huge castle, and well worth a quick visit.
It might seem that you are just skirting the northern edge of the Dales, but I honestly think this would be enough for a day's drive from Haltwhistle to York. If you do have time there are lovely walks and strolls from any of the above villages (Reeth has a tiny little museum which is worth half an hour too).
/www.richmond.org.uk
www.yorkshiredales.org/dales/ndReeth.htm
Hope this helps.
M
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Thanks! Between the Borders, the Dales, and the Cotswolds, for a first timer, I was getting very confused but it's getting clearer a little bit at a time. Helene
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Morgana, thanks so much. Great information. We are planning on spending only one night in York, and we haven't yet booked anywhere in the Dales for the remaining two nights. I've been doing much more lodgings searching than my boss would care to know about!

I understand there's a big Herriot convention taking place the following weekend in Thirsk, so we'll probably have to avoid that town to stay away from the crowds (if that draws crowds). It seems the lodging choices are endless, and to make matters worse, we're fairly flexible.

So, any recommendations for a lovely two-night stay in a place that's central to the Dales? I've been looking at both inexpensive and expensive, with Swinton Park near Masham being the most pricey (maybe, ahem, too pricey).

Again, thanks so much. You and the others on this forum should charge for all this good advice.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM

I hear good things about Swinton Park but have never been.
A few ideas that would fit in with your Dales drive-
Yorke Arms, Ramsgill (my favourite place in the world for food). I get taken here on my birthday for dinner and it's out of this world. Does rooms too. Not cheap but worth every penny. Ramsgill is nothing but a scattering of cottages and a church, with fabulous walks from the doorstep. Michelin starred food - just perfect.
www.yorke-arms.co.uk
Devonshire Arms, Bolton Abbey
www.thedevonshirearms.co.uk
Again stunning setting and wonderful place.
Blue Lion
www.thebluelion.co.uk
Alistair Sawday's website is always full of good places too -
www.alastairsawday.co.uk
Have to admit I'm not that enamoured with Thirsk, so you won't be missing anything by avoiding the town!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:05 AM

I'd like to put in a vote for driving to the village of Dent. In July '05 we used Skipton as our homebase, spent a day in York and then other days just driving all over the Dales, including visiting Bolton Abbey, which was lovely. Driving to Dent was beautiful and fun--I had to keep hopping out of the car to open gates. It was like our own private road. We really enjoyed it. Our kids enjoyed touring the Wensleydale cheese factory (probably because they got Wallace and Gromit stickers!)--yummy samples at the end!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM

North Yorkshire has a mass of thing to see. I have produced some stuff of places I have been here http://www.hotels-uk-accommodation.c...estovisit.html
I hope that gives you some ideas. The dales is splendid indeed. I take a weekly run out there now a days ... drive from York to Harrogate then from harrogate along penny pot lane (old roman road) out towards a lovely little village called Addingham. All along the way there are great views of the dales. The pubs in Addingham are great for a meal and then back to York.

If you need a few idea about what to see when in York try here ... http://www.york-united-kingdom.co.uk/ This site is by people who live in York and has been online since 2001 a good guide by people who live there.

What ever you do make sure you enjoy!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all the posters for your help. Sounds as if we can't miss in the Dales no matter where we go. Looking forward even more to seeing your part of the world.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:14 AM

We really liked Whitby - picture postcard fishing town with enough to keep you interested for 2 or 3 days. Close by is Fylingdale, Goatsherd - Heartbeat county - & if you want to try something like Blackpool there is Scarborough.
York has enough to keep you going for 3 days.
In the other direction to Whitby is Bakewell, Ashford on the Water which is another good day out & so is Haworth.
Leeds has been suggested in our office for a christmas shopping trip instead of the Trafford centre, Manchester.
If you go make sure you have warm clothes. It is always colder in Yorkshire than London. I went in March the temperature was mild & there was still ice from January.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Another vote for Dent and Dentdale. I stayed at Smithy Fold this summer.

www.smithyfold.co.uk/

It's a family run b & b in a lovely setting. The Dales Way is just outside the front door, and the walk to town is magical. Not far away is the "book town" of Sedbergh.

I would also recommend Newby Hall, between Ripon and York. Stunning house and garden.

You can read my trip report by searching "Dreams of an English Summer." I'd provide a link, but I'm not that savvy.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Lol johngerard, love you calling it Goatherd! I think you mean Goathland.
And honest, there is not that much difference between temperatures in London and Yorkshire, I promise! I was born and spent 25 years in the south of England, and have spent the last 20 living in North Yorkshire. We had colder winters and more snow in the south than I've ever had in Yorkshire. The wind can be a bit icy though up here!
I work in Leeds - great idea for your office trip. Give me a yell if you want some ideas in planning it - Harvey Nicks is fabulous, as is the Victoria Quarter.