Baarcelona with only a little ingles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD and I are considering spending Christmas in Barcelona. I remember un poquito espanol from my high school days and my DD can rattle off some Spanglish. In other words, we are far from proficient.

Any veteran travelers able to tell me what to expect in terms of difficulty communicating? (I wish I could say I'd brush up before December but this old brain does not work that way and DD will be extremely busy with a new State Dept job that will require her learning a different language!)

TIA,
sal
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM

My DH and I were in Barcelona last year. Spanish is not one of the languages I learned, and DH did a year of it in university 10 years ago, so he had a better knowledege than me.

We got by just fine. We used the phrase section in our guide and also had a food dictionary with us. We got used to it very quickly and by the end of our 3-week trip, we could easily manage in different situations.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
FWIW - The language in Barcelona is Catalan, not Spanish.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
While the first language in Barcelona is Catalan, we found that just about everybody also speaks Spanish, so the poquito espanol will probably be useful. Don't know about the Spanglish.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:58 AM

You will be fine. Millions have done it before and millions will do it after you. Just be polite and don't expect everyone to speak any English and know that you probably won't have a lot of really amazing heart to hearts with the locals.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was amazed in Paris that I actually did have some heart-to-hearts with some of the locals (I know very little French) b/c so many speak English. Didn't know whether that is the case in Barcelona??
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:26 AM

While Catalans are bi-lingual, it does make a difference to at least know that Catalan, not Spanish, is the first language of Barcelona. (I know some Spanish and French, and both have been of help in deciphering Catalan signs and menus.) I have never had any difficulty being a tourist in Barcelona, but I do think people there appreciate it if you don't apologize for not speaking Spanish, but instead apologize for not speaking any Catalan.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM

Many Catalans are tri-lingual -- and beyond.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

It's the tips like these that make me keep coming back to this forum. When I entered Parisian shops and greeted the personnel (learned here), there certainly seemed to be a difference in their tone of voice toward me, versus toward people who ignored them upon entering. So, thanks.
sal
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM

It definitely helps to recognize Catalán as the language, and not Spanish. In fact, oftentimes people who would not normally speak Spanish to you will give it a try if you first apologize for no Catalán. If that makes no sense, I will try to clarify. It is important for many people here (I live in BCN) that Catalán be recognized, so starting off in Spanish is actually just negating Catalán. But, if you preface your encounters with the fact that Catalán is what you know of for the region, they are more eager to talk to you. Not everyone, but many people.

I used to not speak Catalán and now that I do, the difference is practically tangible.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM

The central Spanish government treated Catalonia very badly (and that's putting it mildly) for many decades, and imposing speaking Spanish on the local population was a policy that become but one bitter issue in a very unhappy relationship. Individual attitudes obviously vary, and tourists are cut a lot of slack. But pride in Catalonian is very strong in the region, and understandably so, since it is a very cosmpolitan culture that can trace a direct line right back to the Greeks, and is rich in music, art, architecture and great food -- and no doubt literature for those who speak the language.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:11 PM

Are there any "Learn Catalan" CDs? Of course, aftr trying to brush up my one year of HS French in 2004, then my almost as poor Spanish this March, then trying to learn some Italian by May, I'll probably be rendered totally speechless if I try to learn any Catalan.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM

Take a look at this Missypie

http://www.catalunya-lliure.com/curs/catala.html

You might notice that Catalan (at least to my eyes and here's) is very reminiscent of other European languages, and therefore easy to decipher when you are looking at a menu, etc.

I don't think anybody in Catalonia expects American tourists to speak Catalan. Especially outside of Barcelona, Catalonians extend a very warm welcome to Americans who visit their region and show some understanding of its unique history and offerings. That means something as simple as NOT starting off by saying to them "Sorry I don't speak Spanish." That would be a bit like a Catalonian going to Puerto Rico and saying: "Sorry I don't speak English."

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM

Sorry for that hilarious typo (spelling by ear)! I meant to say "my eyes and ears"!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:29 PM

Actually missypie, this is even better -- or at least it's more colorful:

http://www.geocities.com/learn_catalan/index.htm
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Thank you so much!