York Attractions

Search

York Attractions

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York Attractions

Curious as to how much time each of these venues takes to fully appreciate without being rushed:

York Minster

Cliffords Tower

York Castle Museum

Jorvik Viking Center

National Railway Museum

Can you see all these in a long day or is that unrealistic because each thing takes a long time?

Also which walking tour is best? The GhostHunt or the one offered by the Association that meets in front of the Art Gallery?
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM

The time you take in/at each sight will obviously depend on your interests, but as a general guide:

York Minster - at least an hour
Clifford's Tower - from the bottom 10mins, climbing up (the stairs, not the grass!) and taking time inside 1hour to 1hr30mins as if the weather is good you'll spend time taking photos of the landscape too.
York Castle Museum - 1hr30mins at leas, but likely to be more like 2.5hrs.
Jorvik Viking Centre - depends on the queue to get in (which can be very long in Summer), but the actual ride/tour takes around 1hour from memory, so allow at least1.5 to 2 hours. Pre-book online if you want to save time in line.
National Railway Museum - again, depends on your interests, but I'd allow 2hrs here.

Doing all this in one day would make it very rushed and not much fun. If you can add an extra day, walking the old city wall is also a great way to see the city and understand more of the history, so that takes a few hours. The Ghost Hunt is a great tour, definitely take it. Not familiar with the other one you mention.
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
They wouldn't all be doable in one day -- simply because of opening hours if nothing else.

Madamtrashheap's estimates are a good start -- but I'd allow 90 mins minimum for York Minster and about 3 hours for the Castle museum.

The Railway museum is the iffy one . . One hour if you are only minimally interested in trains/transport - and 4+ hours if you are really into the subject.
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM

An attraction and a superbly tasty one at that is a scone (perhaps the muti-fruited one, at Betty's.
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:03 AM

Agree with above - you'd be on your knees (or having a very bad case of 'Museum foot') before you got half way through that list. Far too much.
If you go to Betty's it's not a fast experience either. Tea and scones should never be hurried.
The Railway Museum is very large so even physically wandering around it all takes a good while, and the exhibits are fascinating even for 'non train lovers' so allow at least two hours there. There's so much to see. It's a bit of a stroll out from the centre, but on a pedestrianised path from the railway station (well signed). It's not a good place to buy food though but there is a little picnic room if you take your own food.
Plus you need to build in time just to get from place to place, and for lunch/refreshments. Also walking from venue to venue will take you past some beautiful buildings, shops etc that you certainly won't want to just fly past without lingering. York is a stunning city with a surprise around every corner.
I'm not a fan of Ghost Walks but an alternative (to rest your aching legs) could be an evening cruise using York Boat?
www.yorkboat.co.uk
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:35 AM

And don't forget to allow time for "just" walking along the extensive town walls--we spent probably an hour (we had a beautiful day so lots of picture taking).

We spent a longish hour, including gift-shop and pics outside, at the Minster--could have spent longer.

We spent about an hour at Clifford's Tower/area near there.

These 3 things, plus a sit-down lunch, a teeny bit of the Shambles, and a rest and ice creams near the Tower took about 6 hours. (We were staying right outside the city walls, so after our time in York, we walked back to B&B for a rest and found dinner near the B&B, which accounted for the rest of our day there.)

I wish we'd had another day! Enjoy and don't rush too much!
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:27 AM

York is beautiful. I took a tour from the tourist office. It was informative and took us to places I wouldn't necessarily find on my own. That took about 2 hours, but you can come and go. I would also recommend stopping in the beautiful gardens for a tea just behind the Minster. I believe it is a National Trust property. Just lovely.

Enjoy - it is a beautiful!
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I just thought since most of the sights are near each other except for the railway museum that it could be doable. I wish we had more time to work with but probably not so trying to manage to squeeze in the important spots. Most likely need a day and a half to two days to do this more leisurely.
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM

I hope you are going to Hadrian's Wall another day.