Daytrip from York - Bubwith & Holme-Upon-Spalding Moor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've received terrifically helpful responses to my questions about planning a trip to York and Yorkshire. With the expert assistance of morgana, bilboburgler and many others, we almost have an itinerary for review! In the meantime...

During the time we're in York, we're considering making a trip to Bubwith & Holme-Upon-Spalding Moor. It's pretty clear that neither is a tourist destination, but they were the homes of ancestors in the 1600s and we'd like to visit.

Could anyone tell me if there is anything special to be seen at either place? If not, is there anyplace en route to them (from York) that we should stop?

Also, are we making a terrible mistake??

Thank you!
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll probably just want to drive there and look around to get a feel. They are very close to each other/York. The full loop York through both villages and back to York is less than 50 miles and about 90 minutes. Not anything of note that I'm aware of but you could visit both parish churches.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Also, are we making a terrible mistake??<<

re what? 'Ancestor hunting' is seldom a 'mistake'. But it will take a couple of hours away from other sites/sights.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj. I don't think of 'Ancestor hunting' as a mistake, but I was concerned that our destinations might be places to be avoided for some reason.

Looking at a loop from York, is there anything to see in Pocklington?
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM

I wouldn't let Pocklington delay you for too long.
There's Burnby Hall Gardens but I confess I've never visited them. Not sure why really as they are supposed to be nice.
http://www.burnbyhallgardens.com/
I also spent a fascinating afternoon at the air museum at Elvington. Didn't think I'd find it that interesting and I have no real interest in planes, but it was so atmospheric, with lots to see and some very good displays. The control tower was one of the creepiest buildings I have ever been in.
http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.org/
I have to say though that for first time visitors to this area (with limited time) I wouldn't have the air museum or Burnby Hall on my hit list,
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,Morgana. I think we should take your and janisj's advice and make it a half-day trip to the two ancestral homes.