Search

Advice York - Haworth

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2018, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice York - Haworth

Hi all,
I am currently planning a trip to the UK in the summer. I'll mainly be visiting friends in London, with a short stay somewhere else. For the short stay somewhere else I settled on York, also wanting to see Haworth. My problem is that I really can't decide how many days to spend where.

Part of the problem is that I will be travelling on public transport and prefer buying the tickets far in advance, to not pay the high rates on the day.

I have been to York before twice, each day on a day trip. That was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly how much there is to see. I know that I did the walk on the wall, had a great guided tour in the cathedral and went to the Castle Museum and wandered around town. I'd like to do something similar this time.
I have never been to Haworth, so will add this either as a day trip or staying the night. This is where I'm really lost with what to do....

Current ideas:
Option A)
Day 1) Arrive in York around noon, walk around the town, visit a museum
Day 2) Day trip to Haworth. Travelling there around 8am-10am, back around 5pm-7pm. For this I'll buy the tickets on the day so could stay a bit longer. This should be enough time for a visit to the parsonage (1-2 hours) and the walk up to Top Withens (3-5 hours).
Day 3) Morning in York, again wandering around town, in the late afternoon back to London.

Option B)
Day 2) Full day in York
Day 3) Trip to Haworth. Travelling there around 10am-12, Walk up to Top Withens (3-5 hours). Overnight in Haworth.
Day 4) Morning visit Parsonage, taking the train back to London in the late afternoon

I tend to stick to option A), partly as I'll most likely be travelling by myself and worry a bit about feeling bored/ lonely in Haworth in the late afternoon/evening.

But what I'd like to know to really make up my mind, and couldn't find out so far: Are there any walks other than Top Withens? I like hiking and I also like the idea of small village pubs. So if there are other interesting walks, this makes option B) a lot more interesting.

For York: Am I missing anything? To be able to see the town in two half days somehow seems very short to me... but maybe it's feasible? Any thoughts? I could add another day in York, but somehow I wonder if that's really worth it.

There is also another option that now comes to my mind. Not making it any easier, just making me really confused with what might be the best to do....

Option C
Day 2) Trip to Haworth. Travelling there around 10am-12, Walk up to Top Withens (3-5 hours). Overnight in Haworth.
Day 3) Morning visit Parsonage, taking the train back to York in the late afternoon, Overnight in York. Has the advantage that I could leave Haworth earlier if I'm bored, but makes the total travel time of the trip a bit longer.
Day 4) Morning in York, again wandering around town, in the late afternoon back to London.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ suggestions
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well York has a world class free train museum which needs a bare min of 2 hours and possibly more, the York museum is a few hours worth while the parks and walks by the river are pleasant but nothing special.

To get to Haworth you need to go through
Leeds, some great art galleries, museums and theatres
Shipley/Saltaire, world heritage centre
Keighley, probably not the greatest town (but a few odd gems of buildings including the glass in the library) but I'd not linger here

Leeds deserves a whole day, Saltaire half a day, Haworth half a day unless you like walking moors.

There are also the two fantastic art galleries at the Hepworth in south Wakefield and the West Yorkshire Sculpture park, both of which would be seen as world class if based in London and can be easily accessed from Leeds using
http://www.traveline.info/
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:40 AM

There's not really a right or wrong answer, but personally I'd go for Option C.
I can't see why you'd feel any lonelier in Haworth in the evening than you would anywhere else. It's a small but bustling place and in the summer the pubs, cafes etc will be busy.
You can always follow in Branwell's footsteps.
http://www.blackbullhaworth.com/index
There's a steam railway too.
http://kwvr.co.uk/
As for seeing York in such a short time - no, of course you can't. I've lived near York for over 20 years and I still haven't discovered everything. But you can certainly see the bits you are most interested in.
For me that would definitely include the superb National Railway Museum (free entry).
http://www.nrm.org.uk/
Some advice about walking on the Moors - take a warm jacket and sensible walking shoes. It can be bitter up there even on a summer's day. I've done the walk to Top Withens many times and the wind can be wild - so wild once we could hardly open the car door. And that was July.
The walking routes are well signposted (even in Japanese!) and you can pick up walking leaflets from the Tourist Board.
Lastly, by staying overnight you could get up and out pretty early and have the place to yourself before the visitors arrive. It's the best time to walk through the churchyard in front of the Parsonage - still very atmospheric.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your responses.

You both mentioned the railway museum, so I'll look that up.

Regarding Leeds, I have been there twice and it's a really nice place, much nicer than most people probably expect. I thought to not go back on this trip though. But as you said, I need to pass through anyway - I'll probably decide spontaneously if I should try to add a half day there.

Morgana, having the place to myself in the morning would be amazing. Also as you mention the cold weather, I now remember that at one point I thought having a hotel room in Haworth means I can have a nice warm shower after my walk. So that's another good reason to stay overnight.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Had our honeymoon in Skipton and Haworth in 1976. Don't miss the Black Bull for lunch and a pint, just in front of the Parsonage at the top of the main hill

Going to York in just over a week for the day. The railway museum is top of the itinerary for the day.

Yorkshire keeps the wind and rain off Lancashire too.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Meant to mention - there's been an almighty furore in the papers/BBC this week about Lily Cole and the Brontes.

You might find it interesting reading!
Nick Holland has fallen way down in my estimation.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...n-nick-holland
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 11:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
seems sad that a double first from Cambridge is seen as an idiot, just because she is a woman. Very irritating.