Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you prefer the Hotel Palace or the Hitel Majestic in Barcelona.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have tentative reservation ( similar rates) in these two
Fine hotels, the Palace and the Majestic in Barcelona.
We are goings with two teenagers and two children 12
And 8 years old.
I know both are very good hotels, I am looking for someone
Familiar with these hotels .thank you
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 05:38 AM

Yes, both are excellent, but somewhat different, and in different locations. We were at the Majestic last night for drinks on the rooftop terrace, which has spectacular views of the city from what is the highest rooftop terrace in the Eixample. The hotel itself has been renovated and cleaned up inside and out, very striking and has one of the premier address in Barcelona.

The Palace went through a total renovation a couple of years ago (200 million Euros) and returned to its former glory (it was once the Ritz).

Choosing between the two will depend on what style of hotel you're looking for, as they both offer excellent service.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it were me I would pick the one located closer to the Placa Catalunya but that's obviously subjective. The quality of the address to me means ability to get around and placement close to things I want to see/transportation I wish to use.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 07:47 AM

We stayed at the Palace four nights in October 2013. It was nice but still felt a bit 'old' and stuffy even after the renovation. I think their target demographic is elderly and French, folks who remember the Ritz.

Excellent service and staff, but surprisingly noisy a couple of nights. It's just four blocks from the Placa de Catalunya, which made it easy to ride the shuttle bus in from the airport or to catch the Rodalies train north, so that's a plus. Also a short walk to many of the Barcelona tourist areas.

I would stay there again at some price point (say 250-300 euros) but when we were checking rooms for a brief May 2014 visit it was about 60% over that price point on the weekend and so we stayed at a nearby hotel for about half the price.

Have only walked past the Majestic. It's on another busy street and perhaps a couple of blocks further from PdC, but still close.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 10:00 AM

I haven't stayed in either, but would suggest for newcomers with kids, the Palace is probably a better location as it's closer to the action. The Majestic is a nice hotel but just a bit farther out and in a luxe shopping area (the main street it is on). I'm surprised the Palace is that noisy not sure if that was the street or the hotel itself or what. Both hotels are on very major streets. YOu'd have to have a room high up, I think.

I think the Majestic has some apartments, though, doesn't it? That could be nice with kids.
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 10:27 AM

Christina: <i>I'm surprised the Palace is that noisy not sure if that was the street or the hotel itself or what.</i>

We stayed there 3 nights in an upgraded (by them) suite with a really bad view into some adjacent apartments and it was quiet. Then we went to Bilbao for a few days, came back and got the normal smaller non-upgraded room we had paid for for the last 2 days. This room was noisy. It linked to the adjoining room through a door and you could hear their TV playing at night. Also it was facing the street (Gran Via, a very busy road with heavy traffic) and you could hear this as well. It was supposed to be soundproofed but that room wasn't sealed well enough.

Probably OK if you don't have an adjoining room or aren't facing the street. We stayed at a much less luxe place a few doors down in May and had no problems with noise there.