Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Barcelona - Palace, Majestic, Claris or Murmuri?

Feb 4th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be in Barcelona for 4 days at the end of April. After researching many, many hotels, I have narrowed it down to these 4 (but I am certainly open to other suggestions.) They are all in the Eixample area. I would love to hear your comments or suggestions if you are familiar with any of these hotels. Are there drawbacks to staying in the Eixample?

Thanks in advance Fodorites. You have always been such a great source of information when I am planning a trip.
Feb 4th, 2015, 11:00 AM

I love Eihample...stayed at Murmuri last year. It is on my favorite street in Barcelon.
Was perfect for me.
Feb 4th, 2015, 11:09 AM

Loved the Murmuri! I agree with Danon, it's really on the best street in Barcelona.
Feb 4th, 2015, 11:42 AM

The Exiample area is lovely, love it.
Feb 4th, 2015, 11:48 AM

The Palace or Majestic would be my first choices for their style and class. The Claris would be next. The Murmuri, which belongs to the Majestic Group, is nice, but is only a 4-star, while the other three are 5-star Gran Lux properties. The rooftop lounge at the Majestic also has the best views on the city at night.

As far as I'm concerned, staying in the L'Eixample puts you in the most upscale part of the city.
Feb 4th, 2015, 12:51 PM

I stayed at the Claris last year and didn't like it much... Rather out dated with a basement breakfast room. Unless the deal is fab, stay elsewhere.... I love the location of the Murmuri and will be looking to stay there when we are in Barcelona in June
Feb 4th, 2015, 01:13 PM

I loved the NH Hotel Calderon in the Eixemple, that location was excellent and the hotel was super nice. So convenient to walk out the door and be on rambla de Catalunya with all the outdoor restaurants (this is NOT the famous Ramblas). It's not super luxury like you seem to be wanting, though.
Feb 4th, 2015, 05:26 PM

The Murmuri is in a wonderful location (really the best of the bunch), but it doesn't have as many amenities as the Majestic or the Palace. (We had to go to the gym at the Majestic when we stayed at the Murmuri, for example.) But the Murmuri definitely has a more modern vibe and I enjoyed having drinks at the bar.
Feb 5th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. It seems I would be fine with any one of those hotels.

Robert 2533 Would you choose the Majestic over the Palace, or vice versa? Is the Gran Via as attractive as Paseo de Gracia or Ramblas Catalunya? While using the little Google man on the Google map, I noticed that there is construction next to the Palace Hotel. Is that still the case or is it an old picture?

Which area would be best for restaurants?

I've read a bit about restaurants in Barcelona and the choice seems wonderful and extensive. Does anyone have a favorite?

Thanks again.
Feb 5th, 2015, 07:50 AM

Yes lots, what sort of budget and what type of food do you like, we can narrow down the choices then
Feb 5th, 2015, 08:07 AM

Construction, or remodeling, is a constant in most Spanish cities. Barcelona is no exception. It's a sign of growth after the recession. Google is a bit out of date on their picture taken on the Gran Via. The photo is of the Palace Hotel itself when it was under renovation a few years ago. Just walk the little yellow figure around the corner to Carrer de Roger de Llúria and you'll see the actual hotel, the finished product.

The hotels are similar, but El Palace, which used to the the Ritz, is a bit more majestic in the lobby then the Majestic, which has changed it's intrance. Both have doormen and outstanding service.

Location wise, the Majestic sits at the best address in Barcelona, Paseo de Gracia, 68.

It's a hard choice that I don't have to make. I like them both.

There are a number of excellent restaurants within easy walking distance of both hotels, but most of my favorites are closer to the Majestic; Restaurant Windsor, Gaig, Lasarte, Cinc Sentits, the wine bar/restaurant Mon Vinic and of course, Paco Meralgo. But you'll such outstanding places like ÀBaC Barcelona and Hofmann in El Born. Alkímia in near Sagrada Familia. Anda then there are a few dozen others. You might want to read Maribel's Dining Guide to Barcelona for more options.

Depending on which days you'll be there, you might want to check into the Jazz/dining program at the Hotel Casa Fuster, another outstanding 5-star Gran lux property up the Paseo de Gracia from the Majestic. It's very popular, so you need to plan in advance.