World Political Climate

Search

World Political Climate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
World Political Climate

I have planned a trip to London for the last week in Feb. I've seen all sorts of news reports that London is preparing for an iminent terrorist attack. I don't know how much of this is media hype, or if London is really an unsafe place to visit right now!<BR><BR>I'd like to know what is being said on the other side of the pond, and the opinion of local Londoners about the current world political climate as it relates to visiting London. From here it's pretty daunting and I'm worried about going.<BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:27 PM

<BR>Well it just took me 4 hours to commute from Manhattan to the north shore LI suburbs -- all because there was a minor fire in Penn Station but now we have to be more careful about the radical Islamists.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:06 PM

You might try this discussion board.<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/londongroup
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:31 AM

OK, from the sunny and very cold north east of Scotland. I don't think we feel unsafe (I'm basing this on news reports and vox pops as well as personal feeling).<BR><BR>Especially in London they are &quot;alert&quot;. But remember they have had years to get used to this sort of thing because of the IRA so it's probably less of an issue. A guy who lives near Heathrow was on this mroning saying the armoured cars and things are for show and not doing any good as such.<BR><BR>The conspiracy theory is that the government's trying to make it look worse than it is to bring round public opinion. 500,000 expected at the peace march in London today
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 03:53 AM

This has been aired several times over the last few weeks. I've lived in London most of my life (which has been longer than I'm prepared to admit) and I have never (and I mean never) felt unsafe. There are millions of us going about our daily business. No terrorist is going to get us all, even if the current activity doesn't catch them before they do anything: remember, 30 years of IRA activity didn't damage that many of us, though it was awful for those who were. You risk greater danger by stepping out to cross the road without remembering that the traffic's on the 'wrong' side for you.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your sensible responses. Just knowing how the locals feel and what people are saying there helped me relax a bit...